Rocky Road Budget Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would return it and buy the daystar 2.5 " lift ($155) with rancho rear shocks ($60 each)

and you will be able to fit those just fine

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
cheesy lift is correct, would do a daystar with bump stops in the front and be way better even with only street driven, also with the 255-70s you will have rubbing on the sway bar at full lock I would say (on stock wheels)
Doing even a Daystar will take 3 hours or so if you have already done lifts on a KJ if not allow more time, not something you want to do on Christmas eve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Daystar 2.5" and Firestone 255/70/16's with stock rims. I had some rubbing on the fog light doors but a few minutes with a dremel tool fixed that!

x2 on the install if you've never done it before, it's not hard, just time consuming.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of a street only rig locally that has it ,well not really local he is from out of town going to school here and I only see the rig at the shop
he has had it for about 4 years
the local shop has done a bunch of work on it ,several strut and ball joint replacements
I think he removed it and installed OME
I would not install this lift on a KJ ,my wifes KJ is a 95% street rig and I still did OME
also remember that if it is still running on the OE shocks and struts they are bad
so no matter which lift you install you should replace them while you are at it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but it is that bad on a KJ, their products maybe OK for the Taco but way different setup in the front end. Trust me the kid who had my ARB bumper had a ton of problems including a LBJ going out and causing him to wreck, he had already replaced the UCAs twice and one set of lowerBJs, one set of struts all within 20,000 or so miles he finally took everything off and sold me all the parts cause he did not think a KJ could be lifted. I would really rethink the whole thing, do you want to take a chance with the future Mrs. Braz475?

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input.

Returning the lift is not really an option at this point as I am running out of time and I guess I will just have to live with what I got, I don't think it will be too bad??? Had it been my rig (I wheel an 01 Tacoma Dbl. Cab) I would have done more research and definitely bought the best I could afford, but this being a Xmas gift and all I couldn't justify spending a lot of money and I found the RRO lift, and their website made it sound much better than the Daystar (figures).

At least add a set of Terraflex front extended bump stops to help the front shocks from going out prematurely (if they're old, you should repalce them anyway while you have it apart). Also, make sure you get the front end realigned within a few days after installing the lift. Hope you also ordered the extended rears shocks for the kit (Longer Dodge Durango rear shocks).

You're looking at least 3 hrs. install time if you know what you're doing and have proper metric tools, torque wrench, Lt. truck/Suv 20" floor jack, 2 jack stands and a list of torque specifications.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rocky Road is so dang funny they will do or say anything to sell something. They sell parts and so will say whatever they need to to sell those parts.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty bad form for a Company to be trashing another company like that. After reading that letter I would never buy from them. It would have been better if they said something like " Through our many years of business, we have found that compressing the spring to create lift is the worst thing you can do for lift, therefore we have created the xxxx lift and feel confident that this is the better way to lift you vehicle".

Thanks for sharing the letter.