Rock slider rehab & reinstall

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by lfhoward, Oct 1, 2019.

1. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

I thought I’d post my question here on the KJ side since I suspect y’all have had more experience in this area.

Just got my Rock Lizard skink sliders media blasted and powder coated! They look better than new! The first time I used Rustoleum and that was more than 6 years ago.

[​IMG]

Here’s what they looked like when I took them off to have them repainted earlier in the summer.

[​IMG]

I have a question for anyone who has ever had sliders on for 6 years and then attempted to remove them. As you can guess, I snapped the head off a grade 8 bolt when removing them, and the rest of it is still in the frame rail. How did you deal with that for the reinstall? I’ve been watching YouTube videos about drilling out stuck bolts and it looks like it will take a long time and eat up drillbits. Easy-outs are usually not preferred because they can snap off and make matters worse.

Most of my slider bolts came out with some Pb Blaster and a breaker bar.

[​IMG]

This one, however, snapped off.

[​IMG]

There’s maybe 3/16” of bolt left sticking out. And it rusted in the weeks since it happened. It was shiny at first at the break. The surface rust on the frame happened over the last 6 years.

So... what to do?
    A. Center punch it. Then drill it with honing oil and lots of drill bits. Use easy out when I get the right size hole.
    B. Forget the easy out. Just keep using wider bits until the whole thing is gone.
    C. Screw it (figuratively). Forget about it and use only 1 bolt instead of 2 at this location.

The slider feet look like this:
    [​IMG]

D. A different strategy... feel free to suggest. (I do not have an acetylene torch or a welder.)

I have new stainless hardware for reinstallation. Wish I had used that to begin with!!

Thanks for tips, pointers, and help. :)

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A,

lfhoward likes this.
  3. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

The other thing you could possibly do is grind two flat sides and then use a crescent wrench on it. And if that doesn't work you could always go back to A. I'd even try some PB blaster and smacking it on its face a few times then using vise grips flush against it.

4. jeeptorino68

jeeptorino68 Full Access Member

D) drill a new hole in the slider mounting plate so you can still have 2 bolts there. Forget about the broken bolt

5. lfhoward

Thank you everyone for your replies. I can’t get to this at least until next weekend, but I’ll update the thread with what happens.

6. Libertybiberty

Libertybiberty New Member

The best thing to do is to drill it out.

Soak it with lots of penetrating oil before hand, and use left-hand-twist drill bits. Make sure you start your hole in the center of the bolt and keep the drill straight. If you're lucky, the drill bits will back the bolt out without needing an easy-out

7. lfhoward

Started the process of soaking the bolt in penetrating oil and tapping on it with a hammer to loosen the rust. How long should I keep this up before attempting drilling?

8. Libertybiberty

Libertybiberty New Member

I'm impatient and only wait an hour or two at the most. Most guys will tell you to spray the hell out of it an few times and let it sit overnight