Revos vs. Razor Blade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revo's Vs. Razor Blade (industrial strength)

I removed the razor blade with a pair of plyers, and then I put it back to take a picture. The razor blade was actually flat with the tread surface. It worked its way deep but did not penetrate the steel thread. I heard a clicking noise and thought there was a stone stuck in my tread. Next thing you know I see this:
You must be registered for see images attach

I removed the blade and noticed how gashed the tire looked:
You must be registered for see images attach

Again, no tire pressure lost, no leaks!! I bought the tires from my local Belle Tire shop and I have put nearly 26K on them. I purchased a full warranty for tire replacement. However, they are saying that they should not need to replace the tire (gap it). I'm not saying what the technical thing would be to do, but I thought I should be able to use my warranty and get a new tire.

So my question is: Is the tire damaged enough to have it fall into a replacement category. Or can they gap the rip (not a hole) and guarantee that it's safe?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Let them do what they want, and if you just happen to drive over say a rake, or blow the side wall out on a storm drain...well then I'd say buying the road hazard was wortht he money.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laugh haha. Yea, true true. But I wouldn't mind getting a new tire, then putting the spare (new) and the new one up front and put the fronts to the back! haha. or vice versa!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically the tire has too long of a cut to safely repair with a patch plug.

It really should be pro-rated based on remaining tread depth.

Maybe you should return to the tire store you bought them from and ask them if they're willing to accept responsibility & liability should an accident occur due to a potential problem with the tire being damaged in the manner it has.

In today's litigation happy society we live in, a pro-rated tire and a happy customer is a whole lot cheaper than the alternative, from a tire store's point of view. I'd bet with a nice, well constructed speech, you could get your tire pro-rated.

Best of luck to you !

Greg

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that cut looks entirely too long to plug...safely anyway. I had similar issues with my tires a couple years ago from vandelism...someone keyed my 4-runner and tried knifing my tires but never got all the way through. My insurance wanted to repair the tires but the tire shop said no way it could be done.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belle Tire doesn't want to replace it. They also say that it is not leaking and they won't plug or gap it (which I already thought the cut was too long). I am going to take it to another Belle Tire to have it checked with a 2nd opinion. They basically told me "No leakage = Safe driving". However, with the Michigan winter coming, I can only speculate what can happen to the tire....

dnm45227

Reaction score
Like I said. If you just happen to tear the side wall out on the way to get a second opinion......

Members online

No members online now.