Reverse whine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
So, I seem to have developed a bit of a whine when first backing up. It's only for about a second or two and comes with a light shudder before moving normally. Trans fluid is good,shifts and drives great,not sure what's going on. Any ideas?
It's a 2007 sport, 42rle with about 202k miles so it could be anything.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 42Rle is not the brightest on the block. Is shifts electronically, and often I get a bit of a whine as well for a few seconds as it builds pressure.
With the brakes on, I generally put into reverse and forward for a few seconds each and then back up.
A shudder IDK luckily I don't have that. However I do know that the gear lube should be changed every 30 k.
Wouldn't hurt while diff cover is off to inspect gears and look for damage or particles.
U joints Troy gives specs here if they need replacement or not free/rusted to crap.
Post 11 : https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/rear-propshaft-u-joints-question.56260/

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Thanks, will do my gear lube in about a week, ujoints are good, and I'll try that backup technique and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online