Retrofit Serpentine belt for A.C. Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whodat

Reaction score
Has anyone ever retrofitted the serpentine belt on an '02 3.7L bypassing the A.C.? Our A.C. unit if FUBAR and we want to be able to drive the Jeep until we can put the new unit on.
It was sure a lot easier when Mopar used a separate belt to drive the A.C.
Must be some real 4X4 enthusiasts back in R&D.
Please advise.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, its possible to do that and someone did do it. Not sure if it was here or on LOST but they gave the length of the belt needed.

Nothing new about having one belt drive everything. Ive not seen a car in years that had separate belts.

whodat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Not being a fan of McGyver or LOST, I appreciate any info. My local shade tree wrencher tells me if I can find the belt length he can make it work.
As far as not seeing a car without a single belt for all pulleys Jeepster, my last 4x4 was a '91 Ranger.
I still think anyone that has done any 4-wheeling in remote locales would not design a vehicle that couldn't operate should an A.C. clutch seize up. Of course, I am also of the mentality that an industry dependent upon new car dealers as their primary source of business shouldn't be shutting said dealers down.
Again, thank you for your help.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you would need to find is a belt for the 3.7L that does not have A/C.

Some of the dodge p/u had the 3.7L so check out them and any other vehicle with that engine that might have not had A/C. That's the only thing I can think of as most do have A/C.............Call NAPA as they know their stuff unlike the chain auto parts places.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I don't see how you can get enough pressure on the waterpump without fitting a dummy pulley for the aircon...

You must be registered for see images attach

It will be enough, because the belt will still shoot straight over from 6, to the bottom of 8, while still wrapping up around it to 1. It will be fine... IT still has just over 1/4" area of the circumference (right bottom quadrant) to work on which is about the same area the belt rides on #3. So, it can't be a coverage issue, because #3 pulley has about the same surface area for the belt, as the changeover would make for pulley 8. It should also take less effort to spin the water pump, than the PS pump...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I see how that is done. When coming from the tensioner, instead of going over to under the water pump pulley and up to ALT; go right up diagonally to the Alternator pulley, then wrap around the water pump. Much better huh? Now all we need is the part# for the belt.

03LibertyinDetroit

Reaction score
It works!!!!!!

My compressor went out 500 miles from home. I didn't want to take the chance of it seizing up on me and putting me on the side of the road. I just removed the compressor and re-routed the belt. I had to buy an 82.5 inch belt. This size is perfect for the re-route as Powerslave points it out in the previous post. This info was a lifesaver. Thanks everyone!

Jeepgirl98

Reaction score
AC retrofit for belt

THANK YOU so much for your post!!!! I went to this site looking for a solution when the bearings went in my AC on my 2003 Liberty. I am a jeep nut and this is the 4th one I have owned. My last 3 were all XJ's. But I love my girl and depend on having her running. Your post saved my ass!! I only cost me 50.00 for the belt. Thanks again!perfect10.gif

Latest posts

Members online