Responsive Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my wife how she liked the handling of the Liberty after the lift, and she likes it but mentioned something that I have noticed with it also. I believe it did it some before but it is certainly obvious now. The steering seems too responsive. I'm not sure if it could be an alignment or steering rack/adjustment issue, but you slightly turn the wheel and it feels just too responsive. Not like it's pulling itself into the turn, but definitely something to be aware of. I would hate to have to swerve to miss something.

Below are the specs from the initial alignment that show as good per the report.

Left Front Right Front
Camber -0.3 -0.4
Caster 3.5 3.4
Toe 0.09 0.08

Does the caster look ok for a lifted KJ? I realize this will change and need to be realigned here soon, but I wanted to know if I should be looking for something else.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Caster should be between 2.5 to 3 degrees for a lifted KJ.
Is this an OME spring lift w/ Jba 4.5 upper A-arms or?

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Signature added. It's full OME 926/947 with JBA 4.5.

The caster angle seemed to be too much, but the tire shop listed the specs as 3.4-4.4. I kept reading where others had too little caster, but mine appears to be the opposite with the opposite problem in steering. I thought that too much caster would make it harder to steer.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is relevant to my interests.
steering has always been more lively than I'd like, even before the lift.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
I have only had my 2007 Liberty since the spring and I also have really sensitive steering. Mine is all original. Its very responsive to a small jerk, other than that, all seems OK with the steering. I would like to know if this is normal for a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only had my 2007 Liberty since the spring and I also have really sensitive steering. Mine is all original. Its very responsive to a small jerk, other than that, all seems OK with the steering. I would like to know if this is normal for a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport?
Stay away from small jerks. :happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my wife how she liked the handling of the Liberty after the lift, and she likes it but mentioned something that I have noticed with it also. I believe it did it some before but it is certainly obvious now. The steering seems too responsive. I'm not sure if it could be an alignment or steering rack/adjustment issue, but you slightly turn the wheel and it feels just too responsive. Not like it's pulling itself into the turn, but definitely something to be aware of. I would hate to have to swerve to miss something.

Below are the specs from the initial alignment that show as good per the report.

Left Front Right Front
Camber -0.3 -0.4
Caster 3.5 3.4
Toe 0.09 0.08

Does the caster look ok for a lifted KJ? I realize this will change and need to be realigned here soon, but I wanted to know if I should be looking for something else.

If your still on stock tires that could be the cause as the front end is actually narrower then un-lifted.

But your fine with caster.

When I did my SFA swap my steering was uber sensitive even with 4.5 degrees of caster.I had to add a stiff steering stabilizer to put a drag on the steering since I ditched the rack&pinion steering gear for a old Ford steering box which requires much less PS pressure to work so I basically supercharged the steering keeping the OE pump.

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a pint of Guiness added to the rack might calm her down. Sounds like a party ... :happy175:

When I did my SFA swap my steering was uber sensitive even with 4.5 degrees of caster.I had to add a stiff steering stabilizer to put a drag on the steering since I ditched the rack&pinion steering gear for a old Ford steering box which requires much less PS pressure to work so I basically supercharged the steering keeping the OE pump.

Since I'm on 235/65R/17, would a steering stabilizer help? What would you recommend? I've never used/installed one before. In fact, I've never had a problem with steering being too sensitive (or myself for that matter). Usually run into the opposite, but want to correct this before giving it to my daughter.

Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a pint of Guiness added to the rack might calm her down. Sounds like a party ... :happy175:

Since I'm on 235/65R/17, would a steering stabilizer help? What would you recommend? I've never used/installed one before. In fact, I've never had a problem with steering being too sensitive (or myself for that matter). Usually run into the opposite, but want to correct this before giving it to my daughter.

Thanks!

Not going to be adding a steering stabilizer on a IFS KJ,just won't work.

I'd get some LT 245/70R17's on and set the pressures at 40psi.That should help.

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:favorites68: The tires are new.

Did see today that these are available not too terribly far from me. Are these the Rubicon wheels I've seen mentioned here? I'm not sure if they would fit and take larger tires and not sure I'm ready to replace yet again.

You must be registered for see images

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess not. Ad says 17x7.5 but 5x5 bolt pattern?

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are from a JK not a TJ like the Moabs we run
Plus if running those they are 8 inches wide, 255-70 or 265-70-16 fit good

Thought so when I read the ad again. I wasn't sure that the moabs with wider tires would fit well with the springs I used. It actually added more lift than I wanted for her leading to the nerf bar request. I may address this more when the lift has had time to settle in some.

Does it ever end ...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thought so when I read the ad again. I wasn't sure that the moabs with wider tires would fit well with the springs I used. It actually added more lift than I wanted for her leading to the nerf bar request. I may address this more when the lift has had time to settle in some.

Does it ever end ...
No never
I bought the 04 in fall of 2004 and told my wife I was done building 4x4s , was just going to drive the Liberty and wasn't going to spend any money on it.
Replaced the stock tires within the first 5000 miles
Lifted right before it had 20,000 miles
also installed an ARB bumper at the same time

Then it took off from there , 7 different sets of tires ( never wore any out )
3 different sets of wheels
4 different lifts, and all of them muddified over time trying new parts / ways to do it
Rear bumper
etc etc etc
SO NO...............it never ends
Thats why I bought the 05, and then the 03 and now....
whoops can't say yet :happy175::happy175:

OF COURSE THAT DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO WHAT TROY HAS DONE ( above ):happy175::happy175::happy175::icon_razz::icon_razz:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on maybe a way to lower power steering line pressure, perhaps? Would that cause other problems though?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on maybe a way to lower power steering line pressure, perhaps? Would that cause other problems though?

They tried that in the minivans but any tech can tell you how that ended up.................

You get real good at replacing those Chrysler minivan racks and why they have a TSB out to replace the return line with the limiter in it with one that does not have a restriction since it blows the seals.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why the hell would they put a limiter on the RETURN line?
seems like that's something you should do on the SUPPLY.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.