Replacing transmission pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '05 Liberty 3.7. The transmission fluid pan is really rusty, so I want to replace it before it actually starts leaking.

I've been looking at about a dozen different websites, but I can't find out what brand/part number to get for an exact replacement.

After I while I thought I had found the original part number (52852912AC), but then I read somewhere else that this is the part number for the deeper pan used in '07 Liberties.

The OEM Mopar pans I find on multiple sites have different dimensions than Chrysler brand pans with the same part number. And without knowing at what exact spot to measure, measuring the old pan doesn't seem like a very reliable method.

I know that all of these will probably fit just fine, however, I'm assuming the dipstick won't give me a proper reading of the fluid level if I use a pan that doesn't have the exact same dimensions as the original.

Long story short, does anyone know the proper brand and part number for an exact replacement for the transmission pan?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
Your Transmission is a 42RLE - link: Trans Pan for 2005 Jeep Liberty|52852912AB : Factory Mopar Parts - Wholesale Mopar Catalog
Or spend some money & get an aluminum 1.5 quart over stock, that stays cooler and has a drain plug!
link: YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan
58350[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks LibertyTC!

The Mopar pan is only $7? Geez I should get myself a new one ASAP.

Yeah it almost sounds too good to be true haha. I googled that part number, and it's apparently a discontinued item that's not even available anymore on most other sites (which probably is why I wasn't able to find it myself). I'm guessing they're just trying to get rid of the remaining ones for cheap.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks LibertyTC!

Yeah it almost sounds too good to be true haha. I googled that part number, and it's apparently a discontinued item that's not even available anymore on most other sites (which probably is why I wasn't able to find it myself). I'm guessing they're just trying to get rid of the remaining ones for cheap.

So what you're saying then is that I should buy two of them. Yes? lol.

I too need a new pan, mine is rusty and will eventually have holes in it, I am sure. As nice as it is, I am not going to spend $200+ on a trans pan. The OE pan lasted 123,500 miles... I'm sure I can add my own drain plug and it'll be fine.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the deeper pan affect the dipstick reading?
Have had the PML pan on for years now. It did take a bit more ATF+4 fluid.
Servicing fluid & filter stock pan was around 4 liters of ATF+4.
To get into the hatchmarks properly with new PML pan took about 5.25 liters, so I assume when they designed it, they factored dipstick this into the equation.
Last time I did a drain from drain plug only, I used a container & measured what came out, and then re-installed the same amount of new fluid.
All seems well & have not had a Trans Temp light again.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is still perfectly fine...just dented. :D
Dent not Good..Recommend even an OEM skid plate ! :gr_grin:
58352[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Transmission%20Skid%20PML%20Trans%20Pan.jpg
    Transmission%20Skid%20PML%20Trans%20Pan.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dent not Good..Recommend even an OEM skid plate ! :gr_grin:
58370[/ATTACH]"]

Yeah this was back when I wasn't lifted. She doesn't bottom out anymore. Not where I go. The crossmembers are too shot to take skids at this point.

Attachments

• Transmission%20Skid%20PML%20Trans%20Pan.jpg
    Transmission%20Skid%20PML%20Trans%20Pan.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, turns out the price was too good to be true.

I placed the order a couple of days ago, and this morning they canceled the order because that pan is not available anymore after all.

The $200 pans mentioned by LibertyTC aren't an option for me at this point, I just can't spend that much money on a simple trans pan.

There are several cheaper (around $40) aftermarket pans out there, as well as Mopar's 52852912AC, which apparently superseded the 52852912AB. However, for all of these pans I'm finding lots of conflicting information online as to whether or not it fits the '05 Liberty... Does anyone have first-hand experience with any of these?

justjeeps

Reaction score
I have a '05 Liberty 3.7. The transmission fluid pan is really rusty, so I want to replace it before it actually starts leaking.

I've been looking at about a dozen different websites, but I can't find out what brand/part number to get for an exact replacement.

After I while I thought I had found the original part number (52852912AC), but then I read somewhere else that this is the part number for the deeper pan used in '07 Liberties.

The OEM Mopar pans I find on multiple sites have different dimensions than Chrysler brand pans with the same part number. And without knowing at what exact spot to measure, measuring the old pan doesn't seem like a very reliable method.

I know that all of these will probably fit just fine, however, I'm assuming the dipstick won't give me a proper reading of the fluid level if I use a pan that doesn't have the exact same dimensions as the original.

Long story short, does anyone know the proper brand and part number for an exact replacement for the transmission pan?

Pull it, clean it drill wire brush and prime / paint it with some high temp paint. My 02 had a lot....... of rust but a whole lot of elbow grease and she is good to go.. Now mind you if you can see more then a layer or two of metal peeling back. Maybe some high temp cold weld would suffice of coarse scrape,prime and paint.

Latest posts

Members online