Replacing steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you remember my issues a bit ago, well I need to replace the steering column, and I plan to do it this week. I have the whole replacement column, steering wheel and all...Only issue is that I don't have a steering wheel puller...am I able to replace the whole column without removing the steering wheel at all? Just use the whole new one? Or can i manage to pull that bolt without using a puller??

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a generic puller from Sears, not sure if it will work, but I still wonder if it is necessary

I think it is necessary...you will need to get to the clock-spring area to disconnect he connector if I remember correctly.
It is no big deal...I used a small two-prong puller but you need to place a nut or a spacer under the tip of the splined end of the shaft to avoid damaging the thread though in your case you are ditching the old section in any case.

I had to take my steering column apart to replace the small ball-bearing at the top....no part number available for the bearing and the price for a complete column was madness. I bought a bearing from a local bearing supplier for probably about $5 and fitted it.