Replacing exhaust system, , more of an FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73surf

Reaction score
Hello All,
Mod, if this is not the proper section for this post, please move, , , ,

A little back ground info, the wife's 2002 Sport Liberty 4x4 with a 3.7 needs a new exhaust system. So I went to Midas and got a quote, , , ,$1500, , after I picked myself up off the floor, I gather the quote and left. I went home and got online, (gotta love technology) and found the exact parts that Midas was going to install. So I ordered them from Rockauto, to the tune of $495 including shipping. All parts arrived in two days , , go figure. Now to remove 6 bolts and charge a $1000, is, I think a bit excessive.
The exhaust system is stock, made by Walker. Two observations:

1) the muffler doesn't come with the nuts to secure it to the Y pipe
2) the Y pipe has a bung welded downstream to the catalytic converter for an O2 sensor but no plug to to put in if an O2 sensor isn't used.

So you will need the following :
Muffler uses metric M10-1.50 hex nuts PN 782-011 Advanced Auto
The plug I used is really an oil drain plug M18-1.5 PN 65220 Advanced Auto

I'll let you know how long it takes me to replace the exhaust system , , I'm thinking six bolts, , how long can it possibly take, , , certainly not a grand in labor

Hope this helps others

73surf

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez! Is this cat back or the whole deal? Heartthrob has a nice kit and the dynomax I recently installed on my Ranger was under 200 for a cat back. Of course its a hi flo so a bit of noise.

73surf

Reaction score
You are correct Idt02, It is a replacement from the cats back, , , I thought about popping in a little performance exhaust, but it's the wife's jeep and the exhaust leak was driving her nuts:whip:, , , I thought it sounded kinda nice:gr_grin:, , , so I went with a stock replacement, , ,

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. The Heartthrob is pretty nice though. Personal experience. Not too loud. My Dynomax (Walker) is pretty loud.

I actually have a Borla dual catback on my KJ. Very loud but I like it like that. My wife hates it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must remember that a shop's price can not(and never will) compete to what you can buy it for online from a huge discount wholesale place.Not saying there quoted price was reasonable but you can't expect to pay the same price as a online place.

I actually have a Borla dual catback on my KJ. Very loud but I like it like that. My wife hates it.
I had the Borla dual setup,it was not loud at all,barely louder then stock(and that's pushing it).You want loud try a MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler that dumps right after the muffler,almost just right for sound.

73surf

Reaction score
You must remember that a shop's price can not(and never will) compete to what you can buy it for online from a huge discount wholesale place.Not saying there quoted price was reasonable but you can't expect to pay the same price as a online place.

Oh I fully understand what you are saying tjkj2002, my beef really was the markup on the parts, , the Y pipe with the cat was $260 at Rockauto and Midas $892 (I would have to look it up) I just thought the markup was excessive on all the parts, , , for people who don't have the tools or skillset that's a hearty price to pay. Normally I wouldn't do an exhaust system because I have twisted off to many bolts in the manifold and that's a PIA to fix, , , I know we all want to eat but I can't see a grand to remove literally 6 bolts

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fyi, a "catback" system is everything behind the cat, you're replacing the entire system. I recently dropped my whole exhaust when replacing the clutch. The best way to remove the rusted on y-pipe spring bolts is by cutting them off with a sawzall, and replacing with new. Make sure you're not in the line of fire when they go boing! Be sure to replace the donut gaskets too. Digging that out of the headerpipe is also a load of "fun".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
While it may sound excessive , they have to pay for a building, electric, insurances both for employees and the shop, the free coffee you drink while there and the list goes on and on.
Not sticking up for the shop , I've been on both sides but if you don't have the tools/ experience/place to work on it at then they are the next option. Of course I would of never went to Midas but would of supported a local Mom and Pop exhaust place if I needed something like that done and couldn't do it.

Oh good luck if you are replacing the cats and front ( header) pipes those so called fit all fit like crap in most cases. What they fail to understand is that small changes were made over the years in the KJs . I tried one of the cheaper replacements, hung so low couldn't reinstall my skid plates, had to cut/hack/rebend/ reweld to make it fit. Finally got smart and ordered Mopar and was done

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I fully understand what you are saying tjkj2002, my beef really was the markup on the parts, , the Y pipe with the cat was $260 at Rockauto and Midas $892 (I would have to look it up) I just thought the markup was excessive on all the parts, , , for people who don't have the tools or skillset that's a hearty price to pay. Normally I wouldn't do an exhaust system because I have twisted off to many bolts in the manifold and that's a PIA to fix, , , I know we all want to eat but I can't see a grand to remove literally 6 bolts
Oh so you did replace the entire system then.Then $1500 is cheap since the Y-pipe alone for a 50 state legal part is almost $1500 alone(OEM only is 50 state legal,all other are not).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Another observation, why are you plugging holes for the CO2 sensors ?
There are 4) 2 before and 2 after the cats so are you doing away with them? If so not a good idea

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure since he's talking like only replacing muffler and tail pipe then ????????????

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what he gave costs on: Y-pipe, cat, muffler, and tailpipe. That's everything from the donut flanges on back.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who owns a local muffler shop, He built me a new exhaust right from the Y Pipe (Downstream Cat Removed) and dumped it right before the rear axle, Thrush welded cost $50, New pipes (Properly expanded) with clamps and hangars cost me $40 and I gave him a 24 case of Budweiser for him to welderup including proper hangars costing me a total of $150, Custom exhaust is the way to go in my opinion, My Sierre HD (Gas) he built an entire new system from the Y pipe, Catless with a Thrush Welded and right out the rear with 3" and it cost me $450 (With welding) before we became friends, Just my 2 cents

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Borla dual setup,it was not loud at all,barely louder then stock(and that's pushing it).You want loud try a MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler that dumps right after the muffler,almost just right for sound.

Wow, mine roars now. Wasn't that loud when I bought the KJ (PO put it on) It is very loud now. Hey wait a minute I thought you said you were pretty much deaf. :gr_grin:

Seriously I'll bet I'd like the Magnaflo race muffler. I may be getting old but I ain't dead yet. :icon_twisted: