Replacement rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbeatrez

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 liberty sport and the rockers are all rusted out. I'm not experienced in welding to take on the job of welding on new metal rockers, but I know the 05 and up had plastic rockers or covers of some sort. Would it be possible to install a set of these on my liberty with some work. Like I know i'd have to cut the bottom few inches of my front fender and cut out all the rust. After that I'd imaging all I'd need is some metal screws or caulking to finish the job. If this is possible, where might I find these replacement plastic rockers? If anyone has any recommendations for the process and links for the product let me know, thanks!!

(Photo pictured below is an example of
You must be registered for see images attach
plastic rockers I'm looking for)

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 pieces each side plastic covers are held on by plastic clips and a plastic rivet on front and rear wheel well.
Chances are the bottom of the wheel wells and the inner rocker are rotted too.
Might be easier to get the steel rockers welded on.
There are two types of replacements slip ons and full replacement types.see link.

mbeatrez

Reaction score
The 2 pieces each side plastic covers are held on by plastic clips and a plastic rivet on front and rear wheel well.
Chances are the bottom of the wheel wells and the inner rocker are rotted too.
Might be easier to get the steel rockers welded on.
There are two types of replacements slip ons and full replacement types.see link.

I've never welded before, but my dad has some experience. I don't think either of us are looking to take on a job like a complete rocker replacement. I think I could find a complete set of plastic rockers at our local salvage yard, they've got quite a few Libertys, so I'll be taking a look soon. And I believe you are correct, the inner rockers are pretty rusted out as well. However, I'm thinking I could probably just weld on some small metal plates coming off the inner rockers if i cut through to some solid metal. From there, I'd have something to mount them on with rivets if there aren't any spots to do so right now. It's hard to know exactly how it'd work until I see whats under the rockers and see the plastic rockers in person, but does that plan sound doable to you?

Also, do you know if the shape of the fender is different between the 02 and 05. Like if I were to cut off the bottom of the front fenders would it line up perfectly with the end of the plastic rockers? It almost looks like the 05 fenders are slightly slimmer. And same goes for the back fender.