Replacement rear shocks for 2" BDS-lifted 2007 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My rear shock absorbers progressively lost their "absorbedness" and the rear of the car now shakes quite notably when driving over speed bumps and uneven roads.

I contacted BDS and they told me my shocks are too old to be under warranty (lifetime warranty == 1year warranty as it turned out), so I will be looking to replace them with some suitable, better, non-BDS shocks, and also take my chance to lengthen the rear bump stops when replacing the shocks.

I've done some digging here and on L.O.S.T. but still have doubts about the correct shocks I have to get.

The first hesitation comes from the fact that my current centre-of-hub-to-bottom-of-fender distance is around 20.7" at all four corners. Looking at different posts, mainly in the dedicated thread here, most people are between 21" and 22" with what they say is between 1.5" and 2.5" lift. I know the lifts usually give more height than advertised (excluding mine :) ), but still I am not sure whether the rear shock absorbers usually provided with these lifts (e.g. OME or Ironman) will not be too long for my height.

The second hesitation comes from some opinions that shock absorbers for stock suspension of other vehicles which fit in dimensions (e.g. the Bilstein BS-F4-BE5-A702-H0 for Dodge Dakota 01-04) will still not work properly on a lifted KJ.

The third hesitation (well, consideration) is that I'm in Bulgaria, Europe, and if possible, I would prefer buying something locally (e.g. Bilstein or Monroe) to ordering from the USA or Australia.

So far I've dug up the following:
- OME 132 or 132L -- not sure which ones, and can't find them on their website
- Ironman 12712GR or 12712LGR -- again not sure which ones, can't find them sold separately
- Bilstein BS-F4-BE5-6458-H7
- Bilstein BS-F4-BE5-A702-H0 (these should be for Dodge Dakota 01-04)

So, which of these work best? Or anything else?

On a side note, some questions about hockey pucks, so wildly advertised as a rear bump stop extensions :)
- Is the standard size 3" diameter x 1" height?
- 1 or 2 pucks per side for my 2" lift?
- Any pictures of installed pucks you could share? (I guess they're installed between the top rear spring isolators and the original bump stops, but still...)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any comments / answers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You only have about a 1.75 inch lift at best now. The BDS rear shocks are junk to begin with, very cheap .
As far as bumpstops with only that amount over stock height you would only need one at most even then its almost too much
Any of the shocks you listed for a lift would work ( not the OME 132s of course since they are for stock height)

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Tom.

Just on the Ironman's, do I need L's, or both numbers are the same?

As for the hockey pucks, I'll skip them then.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some aggregated information (P/Ns):
BDS: 55968
OME: 132L
Bilstein: either 24-185660 (series 5100, old P/N was BS-F4-BE5-6458-H7) or 33-185859 (series 4600, old P/N was BS-F4-BE5-A702-H0, these are for the Dodge Dakota)
Ironman: 12712GR
Rancho: RS999248XL (so far only found them on JBA's web site)

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Among your choices, I would go with Bilstein or OME, lots of people here have them and never heard much complain. We came from rancho to Bilstein and still pleased with the performance.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Among your choices, I would go with Bilstein or OME, lots of people here have them and never heard much complain. We came from rancho to Bilstein and still pleased with the performance.

Thank you. I've not ordered yet - I'll get the jeep inspected tomorrow to see whether there's something else requiring attention / replacement.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, I purchased a pair of Bilsteins and got them installed today. The mechanic at the shop needed to "manufacture" an install kit (much like the one sold by JBA, but since I purchased from EU there was no kit available). All good now and no more butt dancing. Thanks everyone.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5100 series do need the bushing pin but the rest like the dakota shocks, 132L, Iron mans come with it.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Monroe load-assist coilovers (Dakota application). They're longer than KJ shocks, and brought up the rear about 1".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using the Monroe load-assist coilovers (Dakota application). They're longer than KJ shocks, and brought up the rear about 1".

The shocks are same length as the OME 132Ls etc not longer
extra height came from the springs on them which provide up to 1500 lbs more hauling weight etc

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shocks are same length as the OME 132Ls etc not longer
extra height came from the springs on them which provide up to 1500 lbs more hauling weight etc

Agreed.... I meant the Dakota app. shocks are longer than *stock* KJ shocks.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you know the Monroe P/N by chance? Good to have for EU buyers and in general...

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of modifications are needed to get these shocks to work? Might get them for fun.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jammed a couple washers in with the upper spring eye to take up the slack (narrower bushing). Minor coil contact with diff bracketry at full droop, but no issue at ride height. Could have clearanced it, but didn't bother.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online