Replaced Steering Column, now Clockspring is shot...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the steering column replaced and right as i pull out of the driveway, the clockspring makes a grinding sound when I turn the wheel and boom, no more worky. I assume the column I got was from a crash where the airbag goes off, which destroys the clockspring.

Do I replace it right away? (expensive damn part($230), can't be bought used) Will I pass inspection without it? (horn and airbag won't work)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not believe that an airbag going off will destroy the clockspring.......you boasted in your previous post that you do not have to remove the steering wheel to replace the steering column.....wrong!
The clockspring has a very specific setup procedure when fitting...there are a certain number of turns to turn the spring and a flag shows in a clear window when it is correct...once you remove the whole steering coulumn with clockspring attached then the shaft spins around and the setup is totally wrong......first sharp corner and you rip the clockspring up!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Official shop manual has incorrect directions on clockspring setup. If you follow the book you destroy your clockspring. Dog ate wiper switch and steering wheel so I got a used column.

Gently wind clockspring one way to stop... wind the other way gently counting turns. Go back halfway and install with wheels and steeringwheel straight.

Now I don't trust the $185.00 book much. Glad you folks are here.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
This is how your clockspring will look if you or the shop tech follows the book.

Attachments

• IMG_20150714_122927_912.jpg
    IMG_20150714_122927_912.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20150714_122748_153.jpg
    IMG_20150714_122748_153.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Members online