Replace your Break Light Bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salty_dog

Reaction score
Replace your Brake Light Bulb

Hey all,

I’m new to the forum and though I’d make my first post a how to, seeing as how I like to take things apart and rebuild them. (And hopefully have them still work)
So, a little background, I am a new driver but I’m driving and doing maintenance on my parents ‘02 Jeep Liberty Sport until I can afford to buy it from them. (Gotta love this economy…):icon_rolleyes:

So last week, I was washing the car and noticed that the taillight was burnt-out, so I drove to AutoZone and picked up some parts and got to work.

Things you’ll need:

• Bulb (brake light is part #3157 p27/7W but bulb #’s are in the manual)
• Torx Screwdriver #25 (helps if it has a long handle)
• Trim Removal Pry Piece or Flat Head Screwdriver

Taillight Removal:

Step 1
Gather parts and open tailgate.

Step 2
Locate and remove the two Torx screws on the side of the taillight. DON’T YANK AT THE TAILLIGHT OR YOU WILL BREAK IT!

Step 3
Now, there are two grommet style clips on the outside that you will need to pry out with the trim tool or screwdriver… be careful not to scratch the paint.

Step 4
Locate the burnt out bulb… there will be a twist out thingy (best way I can describe it lol) with the bulb attached. Remove it and replace the bulb.

Step 5
Test and assure the new bulb is working.

Taillight Replacement:

Step 1
Replace the twisty thingy with the bulb, back into the taillight.

Step 2
Place taillight assembly back into its place, align the grommets, and push the taillight back on.

Step 3
Replace the Torx screws back into their spots and tighten them till they’re snug… don’t over tighten them.

And you’re done!

Pics will be up soon, weather permitting. I know this is a simple how to and most of you know how to do this already… but I hadn’t seen anything on how to do this so far. Also, if you guys have any suggestions let me know, cause ive got a lot to learn around here.

Enjoy and God Bless,
Salty_Dog

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
not a bad writeup
for a simple chore
Only thing is
you have BRAKE lights on vehicles
not break
:whip:

salty_dog

Reaction score
Haha, ya I noticed that after I posted it. :doh2: ... guess I need to study spelling again.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have to remove the rear brake light housing, I would recommend while it is off, to replace all the bulbs at once. Keep the replaced working bulbs as spares.
Long life (LL) bulbs are also recommended. (Sylvania & GE)
When re-installing the torx screws, I add a small amount of lithium grease to the screw, to aid in removal next time.
I keep a Torx bit screw driver in the Jeep should I need to change a bulb.
I also keep a spare headlight bulb in the Jeep.

Last edited:

salty_dog

Reaction score
If you have to remove the rear brake light housing, I would recommend while it is off, to replace all the bulbs at once. Keep the replaced working bulbs as spares.
Long life (LL) bulbs are also recommended. (Sylvania & GE)
When re-installing the torx screws, I add a small amount of lithium grease to the screw, to aid in removal next time.
I keep a Torx bit screw driver in the Jeep should I need to change a bulb.
I also keep a spare headlight bulb in the Jeep.

Good idea replacing all the bulbs, I'll have to do that next time... But I do keep a replacement bulb for the headlight and brake light (ahha I CAN spell lol :happy107:) in the glove box along with a tools for basic repairs (and a roll of trusty duct tape).

God bless
salty_dog