Replace stock front tow hooks with D-Rings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen "How-tos" for installing front D-rings when there is no stock tow hooks. Is there an easier way to do it for us that already have the front tow hooks?
Thanks
Sam

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in doing this mod as well if anyone has any insight.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked on mine, but you might be able to use the triangular base for the hooks as a starting point for frame mounting, and drill some holes in metal stock to make a bolt-on replacement...

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frame mounted d-rings would be best. the place where the tow hooks bolt into just looks too flimsy.

theres a place on the bottom of the frame under the front bumper that looks like you might be able to put a d-ring at but the holes are kinda small. looks more like a place where a tow truck might hook up to.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Link: LOST JEEPS; View topic - Tow hook Mod

I like this guy's idea: Removing the hooks and welding the hook mounts to 6in square hitch receivers.

I can't weld, but I've asked a local welder to quote me a price for two.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bull Bar and Tow Hooks

THAT is a great idea. I managed to fit the tow hooks on WITH my bull bar. Even though it states you can not fit them both. I would now like to take the tow hooks off and weld the 2" receivers with "D" rings. Much safer.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered two 6in hitch receiver tubes and will get them welded to my hook mounts sometime in the next week. Will post pics of the finished product.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Receiver tubes should be here tomorrow. The local welding shop is open M-F until 4pm, so I won't have a chance to get them welded to the mounting brackets until Monday.

Haven't ordered the d-rings or d-ring hitch tubes yet, so I'll have bare hitches for awhile.

Last edited:

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Receiver tubes arrived today. When mounted they'll fit flush with the bumper, so should look pretty damn nice once I get the shackles on there.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Are you sure 6" sticks out far enough? I don't want to remove my bull bar so it may have to stick out further.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Receiver tubes come in different lengths. Been awhile but I think 6-9-12. Some out parts stores have them and tractor supply.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ends of the 6in tubes sit flush with the bumper and I'll be putting shackle receivers on them which will stick out a bit past the bumper.

Last edited:

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my welded hitch receiver tubes. Cleaning them up then hitting them with some primer/engine enamel/clear coat and will post pics of the finished product. Very happy with the welding job my local welder did.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my welded hitch receiver tubes. Cleaning them up then hitting them with some primer/engine enamel/clear coat and will post pics of the finished product. Very happy with the welding job my local welder did.

Thoose are some good looking welds:gr_grin:
Can't wait to see the finished product:smokin:

I am looking to do the same for my 2012 KK but I am having trouble finding
the anchor plates. Can u buy them seperatly or do I hve to get them with the hooks? The dealer near my house doesn't seem to think I get just the plates... any thoughts?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the plates and hooks come together as a package deal - but there are MANY who want to buy just the hooks. So purchased the plates/hooks then put the hooks on eBay, CraigsList or here in the For Sale section.

Bob

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished product:

3605-dual-front-hitch.jpg

3604-dual-front-hitch-close-up.jpg

I'm really pleased with how they turned out. Now I just need to order some shackle receivers.