replace ignition actuator help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevin mn

Reaction score
Could anyone help lead me to a link in how to replace the ignition actuator pin in a '07 Liberty? I am pretty certain I have the common broken actuator pin. The Jeep no longer starts in Park but I can start her with no problems shifting it to 'N'. Key rotates freely and everything works.

Searching bought up many different topics: door blend actuator, window actuator, ignition switch.. etc.

Thank you.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help lead me to a link in how to replace the ignition actuator pin in a '07 Liberty? I am pretty certain I have the common broken actuator pin. The Jeep no longer starts in Park but I can start her with no problems shifting it to 'N'. Key rotates freely and everything works.

Searching bought up many different topics: door blend actuator, window actuator, ignition switch.. etc.

Thank you.

Doubt it is the actuator pin....the Starter relay ground side disables the relay from energising if the Jeep has neither of the interlocks "Park' or "N" is working.

So it would seem that the interlock on the "Park" side of things is dead...I believe it is a solenoid actuated by the transmission.

If the Actuator pin was broken then the ignition switch would not turn over the engine no matter whether or not the Jeep was in Park or N.

kevin mn

Reaction score
Really? Interesting then. Good thing I have not yet picked up the ignition actuator. So the question would be: Which solenoid should I be looking for? This has only been doing it for the last few weeks. Started gradually until it got worse. Just would like to get it operating normally again.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Interesting then. Good thing I have not yet picked up the ignition actuator. So the question would be: Which solenoid should I be looking for? This has only been doing it for the last few weeks. Started gradually until it got worse. Just would like to get it operating normally again.

I cannot really help you with this question...I do not have the Service Manual/circuit diagrams for the 2007 models.

But if you explain to the Dealer that it starts fine in "N" but struggles in "Park" then they should be able to get to the problem quite simply.

In other words I do not know how the transmission in your Jeep signals to the PCM/TCM/Starter Relay that you are actually in "Park" and it is safe to turn the engine over....someone here might be able to help with this...maybe start a new post.:icon_question:

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

did you achieve to fix yr problem? I'm facing the same mishap...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic, I found out by chance that you cannot remove the key from the ignition when in Neutral.

Saabaru

Reaction score
New member here. I joined because I am now having this same problem with my wife's '06, turn the key and nothing happens. My first thought was the starter but after reading several threads I am see that the ignition actuator pin seems to be a common problem.

What is the approximate repair time for this?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I performed this repair a few years ago...wish I could remember the details. I can tell you that it wasn't all that difficult. If you have decent mechanical skill, just remove the column shroud, and you will most likely be able to see what needs to be done.

Latest posts

Members online