Replace 04 Liberty Battery Terminal & Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deepjeep

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for a 'How to' on replacing the entire battery cable and terminal on a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The current terminal was so corroded that it's about to fall apart and off of the battery, and of course the 2004 Liberty has a non-generic terminal connection to the wire. If I cut the current terminal, which has an extra 2-3 inch copper plate feed, there is not enough wire to connect a generic terminal and still reach the battery post. So, I'm looking for a 'How to' to prepare myself for any unforeseen problems and/or advice on anything tricky that I need to watch out for when removing the base of the battery cable from the starter and attaching the new cable and terminal (1 piece). Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Davey

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Disconnect the negative battery terminal first. try to find all the little plasticky retainers and ties that hold the cable in place and disconnect them so the cable will have more slack to work with at the other end. Chock the wheels before you crawl underneath and look around with a bright light. See what tools you need and take your time.

My '94 Ford had the goofiest battery cables I've ever seen. How to turn a simple battery cable into an expensive part and difficult, expensive repair job. Not a better idea.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would just replace the terminal at the end and then run addition cables to the fuse box and I would also remove the fusible link between the alternator and the fuse box, and I would replace it with a mega fuse of the proper amperage rating. I would also run additional grounds to the jeep body from the battery and also run an addition ground strap from the engine to the body of the jeep. I have actually done the above, and I would post a picture but I have to much of a mess under the hood for it to be of any use.

Latest posts

Members online