Repair advice for 2002 KJ 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatguybry

Reaction score
I need some advice regarding fixing my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited.

My Jeep has 97K miles and I'm the original owner. Its been running great, but about a week ago it suddenly began running so badly I could barely make it the few blocks to my home.

I found 0 compression in cylinder #2, and good compression in all others. I pulled the valve cover off and found that the rocker arm was off to cylinder #2. I put a small scope down the spark plug hole in cylinder #2 and found a gouge in the surface of the piston the shape of the edge of a valve.

I'm trying to decide if I should attempt a repair and if so what needs to be replaced and what is advisable to replace. I haven't done this depth of repair work before, so I know it would be a big job for me.

Given the Jeep's age I'm interested if people think fixing it is worth while given the scope if problems I've described.

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• 2018-11-01-19-24-57-sm.jpg
    2018-11-01-19-24-57-sm.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181101_195657-sm.jpg
    20181101_195657-sm.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 24

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damage cold go all theway to the Crank. Had Mazda years ago the PO didnt hand turn motor over after rebuild, it bounced a valve and very slightly bent the crank 20thou if memory serves correct

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here ya go,
Do you like the KJ?
Did you do good maintenance on it all those years?
Is the body still in good shape?
If you to the above throw another motor in it and drive for 10-12-14 more years
If you want to ditch it, there is a spot in my " spares " garage for it, it's worth it in my book

Latest posts

Members online