Removing Scratch Caused By Tree Branch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I went out four-wheeling with the AZJKJ guys, I got a pretty deep scratch on the passenger side of my Jeep. It didn't reach the primer, so I think it should be repairable. I washed it for the first time in many weeks and it looks spectacular again, except for that scratch. I tried the claybar that came with my Zaino and some quick-detailing spray, but that did not work. What is the best way to fix it? Would rubbing compound work? What is the best kind?

I would've posted this over at Autopia, but I know I would get answers like "wetsand it" or other ideas that I have no idea what they are talking about.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can feel the scratch with your nail then it's probably too deep for rubbing compound.You will have too use a very fine grade of wet n dry paper and wet sand it ,add a touch of washing up liquid to the water.And if you've got plenty of elbow grease and the area is'nt too big you should be able to hand buff it to a shine again with a fine finishing compound .If area is big you may need a buffer.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it is going to need a good polish at least most likely. If Meguiar's ScratchX doesn't remove it, then it isn't going to come out safely by hand.

Rubbing Compounds like Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound used by hand does more damage than good. It will swirl your paint like crazy. I wouldn't use a rubbing compound at all by hand. If it doesn't come out with ScratchX, a machine will be needed to effectively remove the scratch. It may even be deep enough that you do need to wetsand. And as mentioned above, if you can catch it with your nail, chances are it wont come all the way out safely anyway. You will probably need it to be professionally fixed by a respectable detailer.

Can you get any pics of it?

I know I gave you an "Autopian" answer, but in all honesty, I just recommend what is safest for your car. I always have.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one also on the wife's KJ....have no idea how it got there (and supposedly neither does she). It's about 6" long, and looks to be down to the primer at least....you can feel it really easily. Already tried ScratchX twice to no avail.....just staying tuned to see if someone thinks of a magical "quick fix".

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...just staying tuned to see if someone thinks of a magical "quick fix".
If you can feel it and it doesn't come out with ScratchX, then there isn't a magical Billy Mays quick fix.

There are a few good and proper ways of fixing it, but none of them are magical and none are quick. If you want me to explain how, I will.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
67customs is right. There is no easy fix if it is through the paint to the primer. If your jeep is black you could use a black magic marker on the scratch and it will hide it somewhat (I have done this). Not real professional, but it will hide it a little until you get around to fixing it right.

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I know it's not gonna be easy OR quick....but a "Billy Mays, Holy Crap I gotta have that right now" kinda thing would be awesome.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk how I missed his thread, but everyone is right, if you can feel it with your finger nail it will not be coming out.

You must really work Scratch-x in for it to do its job. Its made so that it will only work if someone is using it correct so that some person will not grab it and rub a hole in their clear. Its by all means NOT a rubbing compound which should never be used on paint.

This is Mike Philip's working in scratch-x.

You must be registered for see images attach

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just leave it there...it adds character he-he. I have a few on my Liberty as well but I dont want to start rubbing off the clear coat until I am getting ready to sell it. At least that is my 2 cents...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Scratch X did not do the trick. It did well on smaller scratches, but it was a waste of time on the heavier stuff. I went against your advice Blake and used rubbing compound. It did the trick and my Jeep now looks absolutely spectacular. Even under a halogen, I can not find any proof of them now. Oh, I did use an orbital buffer btw. It went very well. :)

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So rubbing compound, then polish afterwards? We have 2 big scratches on ours now that are pretty deep, and scratchX also did not work.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So rubbing compound, then polish afterwards? We have 2 big scratches on ours now that are pretty deep, and scratchX also did not work.

Yep. Well, the claybar beforehand did help with some of the lighter stuff. I used the orbital for most of the area with moderate pressure and then I had to apply it by hand around the door handle and the antenna. I also used a halogen light in the garage to really make sure I was not doing any additional damage.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The angle of your vehicle in realationship to the light source makes the shine look good, real good. On the other hand, since we're talking scratch removal, did you bother to take a "before and after" shot of the actual scratch itself, other than the glamour shot of the entire vehicle you posted? I'd like to see what you actually buffed out....

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ yea Desert......at least you could have posted a before shot of the "dented and wrecked pile of bolts" before the "wax job".....:D

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you bother to take a "before and after" shot of the actual scratch itself, other than the glamour shot of the entire vehicle you posted?

No, I didn't. It was early, still colder, and I was eager to get started. Plus, I wasn't sure how it would end up, so I wasn't going to take pictures if there wasn't going to be much of an improvement.

Oh, and LOL Dave. Yeah, it was a total beater piece of junk before my buffer got on it. :p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and LOL Dave. Yeah, it was a total beater piece of junk before my buffer got on it. :p

That settles it. I'm gonna get some of that Zaino stuff and a magic buffer.....:D

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That settles it. I'm gonna get some of that Zaino stuff and a magic buffer.....:D

Dave

ROFL. When you find a magic buffer let me know, maybe it'll turn my KJ into that 360 Modena I posted in the Random Thoughts thread and I'll have the Zaino to polish it up all nice and stuff. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROFL. When you find a magic buffer let me know, maybe it'll turn my KJ into that 360 Modena I posted in the Random Thoughts thread and I'll have the Zaino to polish it up all nice and stuff. :D

Now there's a thought...LOL.....change your vehicle into whatever you feel like driving every morning........

Dave

Latest posts

Members online