Removing Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change today. I must have the towing option because I have both viscous coupled and electric cooling fans, although I never ordered this. There was no way I could get the filter off from above.
I could only just manage it from below, squezing my arm in above the anti-roll bar.
Does anybody have an easier way to do this? Does removing the engine protection plate underneath help?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got tired to reaching around the front skid plate. So I remove it.
I believe it's a 15mm deep socket for all 4 bolts. Do not remove the rear two, just loosen. Then remove the front two and slide the plate off. It's heavy, so use a jack to help you get it back into place.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Trodo. I did think of removing the skid plate before I started, but it's hard to see if it would help by just looking, and it does look heavy.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***** huh? Ive never really had a problem getting to it, but I feel like my arms are going to break since they need to bend ways they are not supposed to. :-s

N / A

Reaction score
really? mine is easy, I just reach in from above and grab right on it

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Mangate said, it's impossible to get to it from above if you have the trailer-towing package - unless you're built like the Stick Man.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 05 with the tow pack and mopar skids. I have never had a problem getting to mine from underneith. It's so easy from underneith that I never even looked at it from the top. I need to get underneith to drain the oil anyway. They must have changed the skid or something on the 05 model or you have an aftermarket skid??

I use an end cap filter cap that you just snap your ratchet extension into so I don't even have to stretch much. Maby that's the difference.

Dave

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 with skids and I take my filter out from above as well with little trouble. If you REALLY want a challenge go and find a cavalier!!! You need to be a magician to get that filter out!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
LI_Egabrag said:
I have an 03 with skids and I take my filter out from above as well with little trouble. If you REALLY want a challenge go and find a cavalier!!! You need to be a magician to get that filter out!

I did a Cavalier about 2 years ago and still have a pain.

Try a Mazda 3....................

After those two I can do the KJ in my sleep...........and I'm an old coot.

Dave

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
LI_Egabrag said:

I did a Cavalier about 2 years ago and still have a pain.

Try a Mazda 3....................

After those two I can do the KJ in my sleep...........and I'm an old coot.

Dave

I have had a Cavalier since 1999 and the oil change becomes something of an artform. You learn quickly not to have the engine too warm when you go elbow deep into the three inch space between the engine and firewall.

I really enjoyed the first oil change on my Liberty because I was able to see what I was touching.