Removing oil/anti freeze from carpet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine used my Jeep to transport used oil to a local recycling center and didn't secure a cap all the way. A LOT of oil/anti freeze spilled all over my cargo area. He used a shop vac to vac a lot of it out but the smell is ridiculous and the carpet is stained pretty good.

Anybody know how to remove the stain and, more importantly, the smell?

Tips on how to refrain myself from killing him also appreciated.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Look for a chemical based cleaner, a water based won't cut it easily. I'd take it out and wash it.

rocknrun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They use Dawn dishwashing detergent to clean sea birds that have been caught in an oil spill. Don't know how well it would work on your carpet, but it's cheap and worth a try. If the oil soaked through the carpet it's probably still on the floorboard so like Hoosier said, it needs to come out.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to look under the carpet and it doesn't look like anything seeped through the pad. I scrubbed my life away with a Dawn/water mix and then shop vacced that up as well. I emptied a box of cornstarch on my cargo area to suck up the excess water and hopefully more oil. I also opened two boxes of baking soda and put one on my dash and one right in the middle of the cargo area. Hopefully it ***** up some of the smell.

I'm going to clean again tomorrow with Purple Power carpet cleaner stuff and more Dawn/water.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cornstarch to absorb as much of the residue as possible then try dawn or goop hand cleaner (goop can be found at harbor freight) ive used goop before and its the only thing besides gasoline that can take tar off of skin so i imagine its a good stain remover as well

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ivory soap is better for removing oil.
Fantastic spray cleaner mixed with ivory would really break down the oil.
Soak it well as above /warm water, and use a strong wet shop vac to remove wetness.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clyde frog said:

Tips on how to refrain myself from killing him also appreciated

Make him clean it up:nutkick:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with Joe.......make him do it and then make him get you a huskyliner for the back too......:smokin:

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A word for this wise....
When you are taking back the used oil and antifreeze....
Always use a strong cardboard box.....
and put the containers inside the box with newspaper on bottom of box just in case.
ask me how I know....

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A friend of mine used my Jeep to transport used oil to a local recycling center and didn't secure a cap all the way. A LOT of oil/anti freeze spilled all over my cargo area. He used a shop vac to vac a lot of it out but the smell is ridiculous and the carpet is stained pretty good.

Tips on how to refrain myself from killing him also appreciated.

I'm with Joe.......make him do it and then make him get you a huskyliner for the back too......:smokin:

Dave

X2

I would be asking (Telling ) said friend that he Is going to replace the carpeting!

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, he has been told :)

I found a nice new puddle under my rear seats. I'm thinking it spilled, traveled down the little incline, and it slowly working it's way to the front. I've ripped out the cargo carpet and will probably do the rest of the carpet later today. I can't handle the smell.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya that is harsh, having to pull the carpets. I can imagine the smell.. awful.
I suppose the best fix is purchase a new carpet, hopefully at his expense.
I knocked over a container of motor cycle oil in cargo area, that had a loose cap.
Thankfully, I had the WeatherTech cargo liner.
40557[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• WeatherTechCargoLiner.jpg
    WeatherTechCargoLiner.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, he has been told :)

I found a nice new puddle under my rear seats. I'm thinking it spilled, traveled down the little incline, and it slowly working it's way to the front. I've ripped out the cargo carpet and will probably do the rest of the carpet later today. I can't handle the smell.

Rub his nose in it, then swat him with a rolled up newspaper and say..."NO, bad boy"

Latest posts

Members online