Removing Fan Clutch from Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fan clutch is wobbly and my water pump is leaking - it leaks out as the engine cools.

Autozone offers a tool for loan, but with the tool, two of us (one above the pump and one below) were not able to develop enough torque on the brass nut to break it loose. I find this design a bit odd, as you have to reuse the belt pulley and the fan is captured on the inside of the fan clutch rather than being mounted on the outside.

So, working around the fan and clutch, I removed the eight bolts and pump. I busted the plastic impeller off of the pump, removed a brass sleeve, a steel retainer, spring, and rubber seal to get at the shaft. See photo. Now I have the pump shaft clamped in the vise and I am torquing with my largest crescent wrench, applying about 10X the torque we were able to bring to bear under the hood, but it will not break loose. Next, I will grind some flats in the shaft to see if I can get a better grip with the vise. All other ideas are welcome. I could put a pipe over the loaner tool, but I am certain I would destroy it.

steverose359%40gmail-com-albums-2008-liberty-kk-picture6444-liberty-fan-clutch.jpg

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you have the incorrect clutch fan. The stock clutch fan is 11 blade white plastic. Secondly I would just buy a new fan clutch off of rockauto.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you have the incorrect clutch fan. The stock clutch fan is 11 blade white plastic. Secondly I would just buy a new fan clutch off of rockauto.
Rock Auto doesn’t offer a clutch with a fan. They do have a 7 blade plastic fan for $58. I would prefer not to replace the fan, which seems to be in fine condition.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That can't be the factory fan and fan clutch. Someone must of really messed with it, I bet it's the wrong fan/fan clutch and it's crossthreaded or worse on there. That looks like the fan from my old XJ. My fan has never taken more than a tap on the wrench or a bolt through one of the pulley holes to catch on fin to break free.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to reuse the fan; it mounts on the inside surface of the clutch like the replacement clutches are set up to do. I will need to purchase the clutch to see if the hole pattern matches.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too think that the threads are right hand.

I did a web search on a part number/barcode that is on the steel fan; 55037964AA. It is for a viscous fan clutch for a 2009 Dodge Nitro 3.7L V6. Not exactly a 2008 Liberty, but very close.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steverose359%40gmail-com-albums-2008-liberty-kk-picture6447-liberty-fan-clutch.jpg

steverose359%40gmail-com-albums-2008-liberty-kk-picture6446-liberty-fan.jpg

It turns out that the clutch and pump can be separated with a hand saw.

This is an interesting design for a balanced fan. Perhaps the blade spacing was designed to allow you to reach through for service access.