Remote tailgate unlocking

Discussion in 'Fabrication' started by markleigh, Dec 29, 2018.

1. markleigh

markleigh New Member

Am new to Jeep ownership - and this forum - so not sure if this has already been covered.
    Just bought an 07 Cherokee. Not sure if the locking/unlocking is the same as the Liberty but the only way you can unlock the rear tailgate from inside the car is by using the key fob... which is inconvenient if the key is still in the ignition.
    Has anyone rigged some sort of remote opening switch that activates the lock solenoid?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Haven't heard of anyone doing that but I noticed it would be easy to add a momentary switch to open the rear glass by tapping into the wires that go to the glass opening switch in the rear door handle. The wires run forward to the left of the seats on the left on the floor. The rear door unlock solenoid wires might run there too.

3. Jeremy-WI

Jeremy-WI Full Access Member

My 06 will unlock the tailgate by using the normal door unlock button

4. markleigh

markleigh New Member

By trial and error i discovered that if I 'unlock' the door lock/unlock button TWICE it unlocks the tailgate (just doing it once doesn't). Not sure if this is a peculiarity to UK models - or a quirk of mine - but it means I don't need to try and rig something up myself.
    And that's good news.

5. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

I think that's what my 05 does. Well, one press unlocks the drivers door and two unlocks everything else.

6. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

I think you can change it on the OTIS to unlock all or just the driver side first.