Remote start wont work but starts with key 2012 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66-f100

Reaction score
Where is the hood safety switch, and could this be my problem

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, what year is your Jeep? Is this the factory (2005+) or an aftermarket remote starter system?

Jermsy

Reaction score
I’m new to the jeep world but used to install remote starts and stereos to pay my way through college.

If your battery has died recently or you’ve had any electrical issues, it can freak out the ignition anti-theft bypass system on the remote start system. Normally you’ll have to go to the dealership and get it to “relearn” your key’s resistance (as in ohms) I have the full remote start circuit diagram- I’ll post pdfs when my wife gets home cause it’s saved on my old laptop that she’s using.

66-f100

Reaction score
thanks jermsy! How about the hood saftey switch. I'm unable to find mine which concerns me. Welcome by the way

Jermsy

Reaction score
thanks jermsy! How about the hood saftey switch. I'm unable to find mine which concerns me. Welcome by the way
I’ve never seen a hood safety switch on a jeep dealer install, myself. But normally on after markets, it’s on the drivers side near the fuse box - it’s just a plunger switch.

Jermsy

Reaction score
On your remote, do you actually have a remote start button or do you hit the lock button 3 times to start it?

Jermsy

Reaction score
If it’s push 3 times I can almost guarantee you it doesn’t have a hood switch. Those are most often aftermarket “plug and play” units. Dealer won’t touch them.

66-f100

Reaction score
If it’s push 3 times I can almost guarantee you it doesn’t have a hood switch. Those are most often aftermarket “plug and play” units. Dealer won’t touch them.
ok bought from dealer and has a jeep grand fob? I bought it 4k on it.

66-f100

Reaction score
I bought the car as a demo from dealership and it has a Jeep fob. Thank you for your advise

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the remote start work if you leave a key in the ignition? Might want to pull it out just enough that it doesn't have the key in ignition beep when you open the door

66-f100

Reaction score
You are 100%right. Found a co. That has system that works with factory remote and must be pushed 3 times. Contacted them by e mail. Waiting for response. Thanks

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has remote start also and I have to push 3x for start. The safety switch is located to the left of the battery on the core support. It is black about the size of a golf ball. It is a simple squeeze tab that holds it in place and it can fall down from it's position quite easily.

66-f100

Reaction score
thank you! I looked and I see yhe hole, however so sign of anything disconnected or hanging. Mine will chime the three times, lock the doors but engage the starter. Is that sequence famillar to what you had?

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With mine all doors and hood have to be closed and locked. Then I hit the button three times and it chirps and then starts. When the sensor falls down it ends up right below the horn. At least last time I had it apart to replace my fan clutch. It will not start if there's a check engine light on, most cars won't, thankfully I just had to get a new gas cap to fix my check light.

Latest posts

Members online