Reducing oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ (3.7 4wd) goes through quite a bit of oil, around 1 quart per 800-900 miles.

I only use 5W30 Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage oil, and change it every 4,000 miles.

As far as I can tell, there are no leaks anywhere. Valve cover gaskets are in good shape, and I just replaced the front crank seal. I replace the PCV valve every 10-15k miles. No visible blue smoke from the exhaust.

When I first got the Jeep, for the first couple of months LOTS of milky-looking gunk would appear in the oil filler neck (which seems to be pretty common based on other posts here on the forum). Replacing both crankcase breather hoses with breather filters completely fixed this issue - no more gunk whatsoever. But it didn't have any noticeable effect on the oil consumption.

I understand that oil consumption is probably caused by bad valve seals. However, replacing these is not something that I feel comfortable doing myself, and at the moment I just can't afford to pay a shop $1000+ to do it.

So, is there anything else I can do to reduce the oil consumption? Maybe use a different brand or weight of oil? Are there any additives that do actually work?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mobil 1 HM is one of the (allegedly) more potent HM oils around, according to the oil forums. Could try Valvoline maxlife for the hell of it.

Are you using Mopar PCV valves? Aftermarket ones can cause oil burning. I go through about that much oil in that time frame, but mine's leaking a good bit. Covers the engine and transmission skids. And oil pan. Free undercoating. :D

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using Mopar PCV valves.

It's not that big of a deal to have to add some oil every other week or so, but if there's an easy way to reduce it...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That HM oil is a band-aid at best and usually doesn't help.

Bad valve seals is a very likely issue but in most cases bad valve seals means worn valve guides also.

Plus don't rule out bad oil control rings on the pistons.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess you could use those STP high mileage treatment stuff.
Bad aids but looks like a new motor is in order.

don't flame me x.x

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many are going to hate me saying this :help: , but you can go to a 10w-40 and if that doesn't help, 20w-50.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to mention this but the oil additive to stop leaks might help. I never like use of that stuff because it can make the seals worse be swelling them up too much but I relented in a old Cherokee with 300k on the engine, I had replaced all the front seals, figured what the hell I'm going to pull the motor anyway so got a bottle of the stop leak at Walmart, think the brand was Lucas, mechanic I know recommended another brand I forget what it is

On the Walmart stuff first oil change oil loss seemed about normal, second oil change after the treatment showed remarkable improvement, hardly leaking oil now, and my usual milage marks to add a quart are wrong, kind of freaking me out cause that jeep always leaked since day one.

I would try everything else before that kind of additive cause you'll probably have change all the seals it affects eventually. But as a patch to get by, I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess you could use those STP high mileage treatment stuff.
Bad aids but looks like a new motor is in order.

don't flame me x.x

Well, as long as the oil consumption is the only symptom, I'm not too worried about it. I'd like to get a rebuilt engine, but there's just no way I'll be able to afford that anytime soon. And getting a junkyard engine just seems very hit or miss to me, and will still cost quite a lot with all the parts I'd like to replace if I swap engines.

Luckily I'll be starting another job next week, and I won't be driving 500 miles a week for work anymore.

kage860 said:
Many are going to hate me saying this , but you can go to a 10w-40 and if that doesn't help, 20w-50.

Since temperatures here regularly are around -30F in the morning during the winter, I think I'd better not try this :icon_razz:

tjkj2002 said:
Plus don't rule out bad oil control rings on the pistons.

Bad valve seals is a very likely issue but in most cases bad valve seals means worn valve guides also.

Other than using some oil and contamination of the cats in the long run, would worn seals/guides/rings cause any other issues?

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as long as the oil consumption is the only symptom, I'm not too worried about it. I'd like to get a rebuilt engine, but there's just no way I'll be able to afford that anytime soon. And getting a junkyard engine just seems very hit or miss to me, and will still cost quite a lot with all the parts I'd like to replace if I swap engines.

Luckily I'll be starting another job next week, and I won't be driving 500 miles a week for work anymore.

Since temperatures here regularly are around -30F in the morning during the winter, I think I'd better not try this :icon_razz:

Other than using some oil and contamination of the cats in the long run, would worn seals/guides/rings cause any other issues?
X2 .... Would They?

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know for almost sure if a piston ring breaks in the cylinder you will almost certainly need to bore it out or change engine

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk