Recommended spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be changing my plugs out this week and I was thinking maybe Bosch Platinum +4. This is my first plug change in my Liberty. Anyone out there have a better plug I should use.

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why not use same plugs that it was built with?

I know they don't last long, but you would think you would at least have no problems with them since Jeep spec'd the Liberty with them. If you're going to change them every 25,000 miles or so, it wouldn't really matter if they don't last long.

Do different brands/types of plugs actually improve performance?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just wondering why not use same plugs that it was built with?

I know they don't last long, but you would think you would at least have no problems with them since Jeep spec'd the Liberty with them. If you're going to change them every 25,000 miles or so, it wouldn't really matter if they don't last long.

Do different brands/types of plugs actually improve performance?

I've noticed a slight MPG increase using Bosch Platinum plugs. (Yes, an actual increase, NOT just restored MPG from getting a tune up.)

I didn't use the +4 though... those just look scary to me.

aksloan

Reaction score
I use NGK iridium

Do you know the part number?

I'm searching and coming up with the following from apwonline.com

NGK Base Iridium IX Spark Plug ZFR6FIX-11 list $16.75 cost $6.59

and

NGK Stock Numbers Iridium IX Spark Plug 6441 list $10.49 cost $6.59

It doesn't appear they are the same based on the list price.

seriouse

Reaction score
Do you know the part number?

I'm searching and coming up with the following from apwonline.com

NGK Base Iridium IX Spark Plug ZFR6FIX-11 list $16.75 cost $6.59

and

NGK Stock Numbers Iridium IX Spark Plug 6441 list $10.49 cost $6.59

It doesn't appear they are the same based on the list price.

I'm using ZFR6FIX-11 part number 6441 i bought them at Pep Boys for $7.99 each. The part number is correct. 6441 for the spark plug ZFR6FIX-11 so i dont know why they have a different list price.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a slight MPG increase using Bosch Platinum plugs. (Yes, an actual increase, NOT just restored MPG from getting a tune up.)

I didn't use the +4 though... those just look scary to me.

I decided on the +4's they had a money back guarentee if I didn't have a noticeable improvement in both power and economy. When I swapped my plugs all of the gaps had eroded to .050. So far I have seen a slight power increase towards the top and a minor MPG improvement. I can also corner better, have more ground clearance, and my brakes work so much better.:^o:D <--edit--- That's actually a bit creepy.

jg45

Reaction score
Just watch the Bosch Platinums. They seem to not like the type of ignition system used. I was running the +2 and then one day the engine stumbled pretty hard coming off from a red light. I pulled the plugs and noticed metal transfer to the center electrode from the ground electrode. Google Bosch Platinum and Waste Spark ignition for more information.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be changing my plugs out this week and I was thinking maybe Bosch Platinum +4. This is my first plug change in my Liberty. Anyone out there have a better plug I should use.

Using the "Plus 4" plugs will make one (and only one) difference: more empty space in your wallet.