recommended battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new one, last one only lasted 3.5 years. Any suggestions on a new one . Live in Pittsburgh so it does get cold here as well

Thanks in advance

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
#1 is an Odyssey AGM Pc-1500 DT.a bit pricy though the best by far !
#2- A copy of the Odyssey AGM (made also by Enersys) is Sears Platinum AGM. $100 less.
#3 Interstate Mega Tron Plus
#4 anything decent at 800CCA or above.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Been running an Interstate in mine for last 7 years
Some like them, some don't I've never had an issue

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, just won 4500 yesterday in a football pool and had a 1000 dollar trip(I drive a cab) so I'm gonna splurge haha

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dual group 34/78 battery are usually the same cost and have extra terminals if you want to wire directly to the side posts instead of the clamp on the top.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin I hope you get the Odyssey. You wont regret it!
Here is the box it arrives in, (just like an X-Mas Present) and ya it's a 34/78-PC1500 DT -that drops right in. DT stands for dual terminals. :gr_grin:
Fully sealed, you wont ever have science projects on terminals again.
BTW When I got mine (which is now in the full size loaded sedan) on a $3k Midtronics load tester, new it read 1319 CCA, 3 years later it still reads 1078 CCA !
51222[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Would like to see a photo of what ever you install, just hoping it's an Odyssey!
51224[/ATTACH]"]

BTW this is the most powerful battery period.
Only rated at 850CCA (lol) 1250CA and for 5 seconds rated at 1500CA !
Link: http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

Attachments

• Uld0hlM.jpg
    Uld0hlM.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • kqoIB8h.jpg
    kqoIB8h.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 8+ year old PC1500DT Odyssey still puts out over 1200cca's.I use the BatteryMinder 12248 to keep it fully charged(throw it on the charger once a month) since I watch movies and such with the engine off in my KJ before work and during lunch.

Want a real monster get the group 65 Odyssey(PC1750 I believe),I have one in the Town Car and it's rated at 950cca's but puts out over 1400cca's.The terminals are reversed though for a gas KJ and some major battery tray mods are needed.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for the recommendations, i had to go with the diehard platinum out of all the suggestions it was the only one that i could get right now, i wanted to go with the odyssey but it had to be shipped, and im tired of jumping my jeep.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin that still is a very good AGM battery.
What model number is it? Got a photo?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for the recommendations, i had to go with the diehard platinum out of all the suggestions it was the only one that i could get right now, i wanted to go with the odyssey but it had to be shipped, and im tired of jumping my jeep.

Why jump it? You can walk around!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got the P4 it's identical(besides color) to the Odyssey PC1500DT.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup 34/78DT - P4 This is what it should look like.
51226[/ATTACH]"]

Sears.com

Attachments

• 6985.jpg
    6985.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin that still is a very good AGM battery.
What model number is it? Got a photo?

There is a DieHard Platinum in mine, although I have no idea how long it has been in it. Seems to be good and strong. The numbers on it are 34/50034 and it says 880 CCA.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that is the Sears group 34 Marine AGM P1- it also made by Enersys.
I wonder if they stamped a date code anywhere on them?
Trickle charge it and go get it load tested! Would be curious to hear how many CCA remains in that AGM battery!
Oh I just noticed the UPC code..Sears could scan that and probably tell you what year it is.

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trickle charge it and go get it load tested! Would be curious to hear how many CCA remains in that AGM battery!
Oh I just noticed the UPC code..Sears could scan that and probably tell you what year it is.

Just went out and looked it over again. It has a sticker on the side dated 6-08, which makes it almost 6 1/2 years old. It still cranks HARD. I have never had one of these, but used to buy regular DieHards back in the day. If this one ever craps out, I will definitely think about another one even though the nearest Sears is 70 miles from here.

I sold my 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel about a year ago, and it still had the original Mopar batteries in it. They made it at least ten years and still had the "green eyes" shining bright in them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The marine platinum's are not made by Odyssey.That is the P1 which is the P4 without the side terminals in addition to the top posts.Marine batteries have top mounted threaded posts.They also have a newer line of platinum batteries which are made by Deka,there on average about $50-$100 cheaper then the Odyssey ones and a different warranty(less).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction TjkJ. I know u don't work for Sears Troy, but do you have any insight regarding the latest rumor mill about the Sears/Odyssey contract expiring and them signing a deal with someone else? =Deka? I wonder if Johnson Controls or NorthStar is on their radar ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction TjkJ. I know u don't work for Sears Troy, but do you have any insight regarding the latest rumor mill about the Sears/Odyssey contract expiring and them signing a deal with someone else? =Deka? I wonder if Johnson Controls or NorthStar is on their radar ?
I couldn't say but it is getting harder to find the Odyssey built Platinums.It may have to do with the rising cost of actual virgin lead which has made Odyssey's jump like $100+ in 5-6 years compared to the others "let's hope those wheel weights are mostly lead that we make our batteries from" companies(Johnson Controls--IE Interstate and optima's).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would want to stay away from any Johnson Controls stuff!!
Optima's aint what they use to be!
Ya prices rising, I want to know how much a new Odyssey is going to cost me here in Canada. I think I paid $350 tax in for the last one. I bet it is $400+ now..??
What is one in the US now costing with an account?
We have no Sears Auto Centers here since like 10 years ago now, so no P4's as an option in Canada.
Just so others in Canada know....Canadian Tire is now carrying AGM's.
Link: MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra XD Pure Lead AGM Battery | Canadian Tire
Their line of MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra XD Pure Lead are made by NorthStar out of the USA. $299 is regular price for one I want a sale price! I think I have seen the 269.99 before on sale. They don't seem to publish the specs which is stupid.
Here are the specs though from North Star Link: http://www.northstarbattery.com/1.0.1.0/254/NSB_AGM_34_78_%28SES-542-92%29.pdf
The rear terminals are not a direct screw in, instead they are mounted to a better connection/wide bar in rear, if you take a look at above link diagram. Pretty beefy.
Northstar states 4 year warranty & Can Tire gives 5 not pro rated either. It fails u get a new one!
Still an Odyssey is best but with rising prices, there are other choices North Of the line!

Edit & Just for fun here is the worlds first Ice Truck commercial testing the new AGM Battery.
If you want to see the behind the scenes making of the 16,000 lbs of ice truck, just Google "Canadian Tire Ice Truck Youtube" and look for behind the scenes stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EGjL2M03s

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online