Recommendations For Upgrading My Stereo-KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just have the basic OEM radio with single cd. No input no satellite and weak in sound & power, what maybe 18 watts?
The Stock speakers dont cut it either. No steering wheel controls for radio..so maybe a remote would be handy...
Ok so I want to stay around $1000+ or - ?...no idea on prices yet...
My thoughts get something that may offer satellite sub mini input/USB..:worship:
I really dont hear the sound from rear speakers too much right now and I have the round basic door ones & two in front dash by windshield.
I assume door speakers have no amp...?"?
What is involved to replace this rather boring stock radio & speakers...
and What type of head unit should I be looking for-high amp with equalizer?
I have no clue what is modern today or reasonable...
Or is there a more powerful OEM that can drop right in?
Need some direction here...Help!
Here is my stock set up photo...
49106[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

All "Input" LoL is appreciated ...Thanks for some help.
I guess tomorrow I will be going to one of our larger car stereo places & begin to look around..
Hopefully you can point me in a direction on this..
Time for some real tunes in the KJ!! I cant take the crap stereo that came with this thing any longer!

Attachments

• JeepOEMStereo.jpg
    JeepOEMStereo.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not at the point of being able to do the same thing yet (I have ideas similar to yours), but there is a guy on Amazon selling a bezel kit which allows you to use a Double-DIN radio and still have it look good. That will increase your options substantially.

Jeep Liberty 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Aftermarket Double Din Radio Installation Dash Kit Bezel + Standard Wire Harness & Antenna Adapter

My general plans are to get a high-power head unit, skip the add-on amp stuff, and go to better speakers all around. I just made an 800 mile trip and the CDs I listened to along the way exposed the shortcomings in the factory system. It's done me well enough for sports on AM radio, but I finally got around to listening to some of my old stuff with which I am very familiar and could tell what I was missing.

I'm looking forward to following your thread for ideas. :cheers:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, a Pioneer DEH -7500HD (crutchfield $100), and Precision Power s2.65c component set for the front doors would be a good match. They do great off hu power, and will get louder and sound even better on a small amp. I will mention that the mids are rather large and won't fit the aftermarket adapters. Of course you'd do better to make some out of 3/4" mdf. It reduces the gap between the door panel and speaker, and adds mass to the door.

If you do the mdf adapter route you want to coat them to keep the moisture out. I used bedliner in a can after i did the test fit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This Alpine looks interesting..
Link: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
50 Watts x 4 -2 Pre-amp outputs
SiriusXM SXV200 Tuner included (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately)
SiriusXM features: Tune Scan, Tune Start, SiriusXM Replay, Song Alert, Artist Alert, Game Alert, iTunes Tagging
BT Plus; Advanced Bluetooth wireless technology with Audio Streaming
Front USB and 3.5mm input -Made for iPod and iPhone
App Direct Mode- 3 Band Parametric EQ
Is there a converter bezel for this type of installation?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This Alpine looks interesting..
Link: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

...Is there a converter bezel for this type of installation?

That's a Single-DIN unit (the stock radio is 1.5 DIN, which is almost impossible to find - I tried), so you would need something like this:

Metra 99-6504 Dash Kit For Chry/Dodge/Jeep 98-Up

Note that if you are replacing the stock radio you will also need an antenna adapter and a wiring adapter (unless you like to cut and splice wires). Some of the kits include these; Crutchfield is a good place to look as they have tons of experience in making sure you get all the extras for a clean installation.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
One other feature I have discovered is HD radio option ..this sounds interesting..
They must have better tuners in them?
Link: How HD Radio Technology Works? | HD Radio
There are limited station broadcasting in digital HD but..clarity must be good if you have them locally.
Just researching Western Canada...not good..not avail here? Or no stations broadcast locally in HD?

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife has the pioneer deh-x7500hd in her ride, and it's a nice hu. It has the hd radio radio and it definitely has a better sound over regular fm. Crutchfield also sends you a free mounting kit and harness if u buy from them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I was out shopping a bit today...found a shop and some ideas...
I think I like the idea of this single DIN Pioneer (super tuner3) w/remote.
DEH-X6600BT - <b>NEW!</b> - CD Receiver with MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, USB Direct Control for iPod®/iPhone®, Android™ Media Access, and Pandora® Ready | Pioneer Electronics USA
The Canadian edition has XM available as well so this is the model I would be getting
Link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6600BS
I would like to install the new head unit, and I am wondering if for testing purposes, if with the new wiring harness, if it is possible to just use all of the existing wiring in the jeep to all 6 speakers easily> What is required to do this? That way I can hear what the new head unit sounds like first with OEM speakers..then move onto dash & front door speaker replacements etc...

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The wiring adapters allow you to do just that. Their function is to prevent you from having to cut wires in the Jeep itself. You could even remove the new head unit and reinstall the factory radio without skipping a beat. Lot's of people buy them for exactly that reason - they can sell the car and keep their expensive aftermarket stereo by reinstalling the factory unit.

Right now you have a humongous plug with all the wires for everything except the antenna plugged into the back of the factory radio. You unplug it and then plug it into the adapter, which leaves you with individual wires for Front/Rear/Dash speakers, plus power and grounds for all of them. Those wires can be easily attached to the wires on the new stereo. A big advantage is that you can do all the wiring at your kitchen table (and not upside down and sideways through a teeny hole in the dashboard), then go plug it in while in the Jeep in about two seconds.

This guy has a simple guide: StereoMan » How to install an after-market car stereo

Here's a video. It's not for a Jeep, but the principle is exactly the same:

[YT]W8p4GBzBjU8[/YT]

When you get around to the speakers, there are similar adapters available for the small wiring plugs at the speaker end which allow you to do the same thing, assuming the Jeep speakers are not hard-wired at the factory. For a lot of vehicles it is possible to change out everything without ever cutting or splicing into a single wire installed at the factory. This saves a lot of trouble if you goof, since the problem has to be located somewhere you can easily get at.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is really great news to say the least! I like where this thread is going.
I really hate dealing with wires but I do have the FSM & hope to somehow accomplish the install with adapter plate for 1 dim and not have to cut the factory wires.
With your above link & video, I think I am getting closer to doing this soon!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a lot easier than it looks, assuming you take your time and pay attention to detail. Last fall I hung around in a lot of stereo places checking things out and they were typically charging $80-150 for basically doing what you saw that guy do in a six-minute video. For systems with a separate amplifier you could easily double those prices.

A long time ago, I had a High School summer job at a stereo place. We sold car radios but didn't install them. Invariably, the first question people would ask is where they could get it installed. I got permission from my boss to do it in my spare time and did hundreds of them over the next few summers. Some weeks I made more money after work in the parking lot putting them in than I did at my "real" job all day long.

In those days, car manufacturers didn't really anticipate people ever replacing their AM push-button radio. Cassettes became the big deal and dealers were charging about five hundred dollars for the upgrade package. We sold the decks for between fifty and a hundred bucks and I usually charged $20-30 to install them. Most of the wiring back then involved a lot of cutting and splicing, and since the old radios were monophonic with a single cheap speaker up front you had to run wires all the way to every speaker (and figure out a place to install the new space-age stereo speakers). Nowadays, if you can change a headlight you can probably do the stereo yourself. :icon_biggrin:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya as longs as the Jeep does not have the Infinity system, install should be a breeze.
I was told by retail shop that infinity wiring is definitely different to the stock set up.
Wiring in a Infinity requires a whole nother story & will be less powerful that the new head unit. He thought if it had the 6 speaker system..it was the infinity.
I called the dealer with Vin# and they stated is is basic cd changer/am/fm with 6 speakers, not infinity. I sure hope so, as I am about to install a new pioneer unit tomorrow as it should arrive then...story to follow...
How can you easily identify a stock vs Infinity system in the KJ?
If mine is basic are the door speakers 6 3/4" round? Do you then need adapters to mount them or is this size readily available..probably not.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a decent article which covers aftermarket speakers:

2002-07 Jeep Liberty Car Audio Profile

You should get size and fit questions answered here:

Jeep Liberty Audio

The easy way to tell between the basic and the Infinity system is to pull one of the front door speakers. If it has a small amp on the back it is the Infinity. The first link I posted here has a picture of the speaker w/ amp about halfway down the page.

I am jealous that you are getting your new system so soon! :)

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since my metra broke I'm going to be doing something new soon.
think I'm going to look hard at going all out this time.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve Thanks...a lot..& for those links! Great Read.:icon_biggrin:
There are lots of 6.75" speakers available...Pioneer, Kicker, Rockford..etc..
Link to many choices (just for brand Name) 6-3/4" Speakers | 6.75" Coaxial Car Speakers at Sonic Electronix
I think my local retailers may have these for direct fit install too... Right on...:party52:
First step get the head unit working, and report back the sound improvements, before I do some new speaker installation work!:happy107:
Ps Dont be jealous.. just be envious!!! LOL..:Get him!:
I hope the sound is much better after the new head unit for starters!:driver:
Tomorrow's a big improvement day for the KJ..!!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, "envious" works. :laughing1:

I look forward to hearing of your progress tomorrow. I'll bet you're going to love it! :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...and one other thing. I can't remember if it came up, but Chrysler uses a really weird antenna connector. You'll need an adapter so the old antenna plug will fit in the new HU. They just snap on and shouldn't cost more than about ten bucks.

This one says it is for the Wrangler but it ought to be the same. I'd imagine your local place has them too:

AFTERMARKET STEREO / RADIO ANTENNA ADAPTOR

If you bought the full kit for the Single-Din adapter it may have come with one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Pioneer Head Unit Rocks!

I had the whole kit ready to go incl ant adapter and Radio Head arrived.
One screw and off came bezel etc..say Bye to the Oem radio!
Going to try to keep this short...
49162[/ATTACH]"]

You could say the old radio was weathered and weak!
49164[/ATTACH]"]

Ok So onto the modern era. Installed the new Pioneer DEH-X6600BT.
With USB & direct sub-mini stereo input jack & bluetooth and choose a color!
I chose Blue to all, you can select the dial etc to be different.
49166[/ATTACH]"]

Oh and with a remote too..
49168[/ATTACH]"]

Edit in a pic showing the face plate removed..
49170[/ATTACH]"]

The worst part was getting the blue tooth microphone wires run...
49172[/ATTACH]"]

The next hardest part is trying to read the manual, because this thing has so many adjustments, equalizers, settings galore!
It is going to take me a few days to figure it all out! Seriously!
How does it sound? Well lets put it this way...Wow is it clear & Loud!
Yes I am still running the stock speakers, but the power from this head unit is surprising. Fm radio reception is also greatly improved.
Have not tried the mp3 or USB stick yet but I am sure it will be great.
I can only imagine what it will sound like with some new speakers in the front doors in the future as well...:D

Attachments

• JeepOEMRadioRemoved.jpg
    JeepOEMRadioRemoved.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
  • JeepOEMRadioWeathered.jpg
    JeepOEMRadioWeathered.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepPioneerRadioInstalled.jpg
    JeepPioneerRadioInstalled.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepPioneerRadiowithRemote.jpg
    JeepPioneerRadiowithRemote.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepRemoveableFacePlate.jpg
    JeepRemoveableFacePlate.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepNewBlueToothPhoneMicrophone.jpg
    JeepNewBlueToothPhoneMicrophone.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoo-Hoo! Looks great! :happy107:

I'm glad to hear that the sound is much improved, even with the old speakers. I can't wait to do mine - hopefully soon.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I got to using the USB Corsair thumb drive tonight. It is plug & play. Folders as well.
Display features numerous types of read outs including Band-title-song etc.
With varying mp3 songs volume& bass levels can change based on each song/quality.
Apparently the unit comes set basically flat with nothing on..are you ready...?? :emotions33:
Ok so I thought it sounded good before..now it is insane! The Jeep Shakes with mild bass & boost settings-no Kidding!
If you go wild & really turn things up, expect the speakers to leave the door panels!
Just have a look at page 13 & 14 in the owners manual to see all the "Audio adjustments" I knew stuff had gone high tech but this is ridiculous!
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-X6600BT_OwnersManual062113.pdf
I am so pleased with this unit..I can not say enough good things about it.
Here is photo using the USB Corsair Drive with numerous Mp3s on it.
49174[/ATTACH]"]

:icon_smile::anitoof::favorites13::

Attachments

• JeepUSBMP3InUse.jpg
    JeepUSBMP3InUse.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0