Rebuilt/reman trannies: where to look?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by HoosierJeeper, Jun 3, 2016.

1. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Which places sell shit and which ones sell good stuff (OE or better quality)?

Good/bad experiences?

2. HoosierJeeper

Would an 03 or 04 42RLE work for an 05? Wasn't there a computer swap in there or was that when they went to the 42RLE?

3. mightybeet

mightybeet Full Access Member

dont know the places but as far as brands go i heard good things on transtar and jasper transmissions.
    transtar: 3 warranty options with up to 56 months or 500,000 miles for extra moneys.
    jasper: standard 3 year or 100,000 miles

4. JeepJeepster

JeepJeepster Full Access Member

Didnt they do some variable line pressure stuff on the 05+ kj's?

5. TwoBobsKJ

TwoBobsKJ Full Access Member

As I remember the '03 and '04 trannies will interchange but I agree with JeepJeepster - I'm pretty sure the '05+ transmissions were different in some way. And the dipstick was eliminated in '06 - or was it '07?

HJ, I called the shop that does my tranny work and they told me a rebuilt tranny installed would be just north of $1900 out the door. I think if you keep shopping in your area you'll find a better deal (and hopefully the shop with the better price will have a good reputation too.)

Bob

6. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

If you can get a working transmission... swapping them is not difficult.

front and rear prop shafts, cooler lines, torque converter bolts, unbolt transfer case from backside (might be optional?), bellhousing bolts and at that point it ought to be dang close to falling on the ground...

Really this should be a one day thing in your driveway.

7. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Edit ya ok read other thread, converter material now in pan, maybe it is close to flying apart?
    Personally if & when mine needs rebuilding, I would have a local reputable shop do it with a warranty.
    I would not trust a used trans. The rebuild would hopefully also include updates parts like a valve body/TC etc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  8. eyehatetofu

eyehatetofu JPOTM WINNER

I still have yet to fix mine. I was told 05-06 are the same, ie part numbers didn't change for both years, but there are several variations for both years (if that makes sense). 07's are different somehow. My renegade only shares a trans with the Rocky Mountain edition KJ and there are two different model numbers for the 3 plug 42rle; one with HD cooling / towing package and one without. I called the dealership and they told me the exact one I needed based off the vin. As far as what can swap over and what can't I've been unable to find that info. But it does appear you have to find a 05 or 06 trans, then determine if it is two plug or three, then if there are any HD cooling differences; kind of a pain in the ass. For the one I need cheapest I could find used was $800; reman was $1900, and shop rebuild was $2700. Poor KJ is still sitting broke down next to the house. :(

If you find any substantiated info please share, as I want to get mine fixed eventually. Good luck with the trans search though.

9. mightybeet

mightybeet Full Access Member

10. HoosierJeeper

Awesome, thanks a bunch for calling. I appreciate it.

Got another quote for a reman transmission for $3200. This must be an expensive market. :favorites68:

11. Tog

Tog Full Access Member

Shit thats expensive my 04 42RLE is in the shop now being rebuilt for $2500 but thats here in Australia . Mind you I did get quotes as high as $5500

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. HoosierJeeper

Damn. It seems like it's really regional. What were your issues with the old trans?

13. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

I got a used transmission from an indoor salvage yard on eBay. Was known good when pulled, lower mileage than mine, had a small warranty and they gave me a discount on the freight shipping because we have a forklift at work.

I installed it in my backyard, taking my time and getting the lines and cooler actually clean, along with cleaning/painting the underside and replacing other things while I was there. The used trans had good red fluid in it (not full, just what ended in the pan) and very little dust on the magnet. I put in new Mopar input and output sensors and it's been great for over 23,000 miles.

If I remember correctly, I just had to know the number of electrical connections on the driver's side, but my donor also came from an '05.

14. Tog

Tog Full Access Member

ATS build a remanufactured 42RLE i think auto part warehouse sell them

15. Tog

Tog Full Access Member

My issues started with random shudder and kept throwing solenoid codes and finally tc codes The tc was replaced and it ran great for about 60km then everytime it trued changing up or down into 3rd it would go into neutral and fault out. Spoke to the shop yesterday they said everything internal looks good no damage but there are still 2 clutch drums to break down they expect the problem to be in there

16. ktmrider

ktmrider Full Access Member