rear window wont go up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
friend has a 2004 jeep liberty. the rear window went down but wont go back up. when ya hit the switch it sounds like the little motor thing is moving but the window stays down. how to fix?

UpsJeep

Reaction score
if you mean the rear DOOR window....it seems to happen often...google.. liberty window or door window..you will see there is a small plastic part that breaks...attaching motor to glass/track/arm.
if you are handy its a home repair..otherwise take it in...good luck..and wow you have 250K ??

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep actually has a recall on this problem and you can get it fixed for "free" at the dealership. However, if you have tinted windows, you will need to get the replaced wondow tinted as they change out the glass as well as the regulator.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep actually has a recall on this problem and you can get it fixed for "free" at the dealership. However, if you have tinted windows, you will need to get the replaced wondow tinted as they change out the glass as well as the regulator.
Only covers '06 and '07 model years and pretty much has expired since it was a extended warranty not a recall.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Which is the reason I went with the metal replacement part.

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your regulator isn't broken. As long as the metal spiral cable that goes in and out of the regulator isn't broken then you need to replace the plastic bracket piece that is attached to the window. Just go with the metal replacement part. It is a common problem on our Jeeps since it is a plastic part moving back and forth on a METAL guide rail. If you have good repair skills this job isn't too hard to do. I'd never did it before and it only took me a couple of hours. An extra set of hands while doing this does make it easier. The majority of the time was spent just getting the new piece ready to mount. Taking the door trim off and the rest of the bits inside the door aren't hard to get out. Here is where I ordered mine from: Steiger Performance

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned it is the window regulator. When you say Window Regulator, it is the entire system. But the part that is broken is a plastic part that the metal screw of the regulator pushes and pulls on to move the window.. As mentioned if you had the extended warentee it is now expired. There is a guy who makes an aftermarket METAL one. So far I had 3 break on me, one was dealer replaced within the first 2 years of new. The rest I replaced with the metal ones. You can buy complete regulators online but eventually that plastic part will fail. The procedure is fairly simple, just remember how you take it apart and everything is golden..

Steiger Performance is who made my replacement regulators.
Here is their website. www.steigerperformance.com

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just follow the instructions off of the Steiger site. My replacement bracket came with them. It wasn't hard to follow. Just pay attention to how you take everything out of the panel that way when you put all of the hardware back in you aren't wanting to punch kittens in the face.:boxing:

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see Libertys around here all the time with the left rear passenger window taped to hold it up.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both regulators broke when I bought my KJ, the drivers side I knew didn't work when we got the Jeep in at the dealership, the passenger side worked fine. I detailed the Jeep to take it home and when I shut the rear passenger door to make sure it was sealed tight the window fell down. Not a week earlier it was working just fine going up and down when I was checking out for any additional issues the KJ had.

SATHWIK NAGULAPATI

Reaction score
can anyone post link to buy the plastic/metal bracket. Or can you tell what exactly you call that part as?