Rear Window Wiper/Washer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just being clueless, but on the 06 Liberty do you turn the ring on the control stick for the rear wiper back towards you and hold it to get the washer fluid to spray on the back glass? I have tried mine several times and have yet to see any washer fluid on the back glass. Front washer on the windshield works fine and my washer reservoir is full.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You can turn the ring away and towards you. Either way it will work, and if it doesn't, I'd imagine something isn't connected.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Do you hear the pump running back there when you turn it all the way back to you? You have the right method. You should hear the pump come on to pump the washer fluid back there.

If not, i'd stop doing it for fear that a hose might not be connected...and therefore you're pumping washer fluid into your roof....lol.

Y-Guy

Reaction score
On mine turning it towards me wipes and sprays, turning away turns it on and delay.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y-Guy said:
On mine turning it towards me wipes and sprays, turning away turns it on and delay.

if you turn away all the way you will see that it will still spray and do continuous wiping.

rebelram, like others said do you hear the pumping sound? And for how long do you keep it spraying (dry) ? On my first time it took a while for fluid to arrive back there (especially if you ran out of the fluid and didn't replace it for a while). Did you check under body to see if anything was leaking? Maybe the connector from the reservoir is not hooked up to the pipe that's supposed to carry it back there.

rebelram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, at least I'm using the right method. I was wondering why the pictures on the control stick show "wash" both at the bottom and top. I'll try full on and see what happens there too.

My first guess is that since it was new, no one has ever used the rear window washer. I bought my 06 used with 14K miles on it. I haven't heard the pump, but haven't really listened for it. I do hear the pump on the front windshield though. I suspected a loose hose as well.

I'll check the connections and listen for the pump. Maybe the pump just needs to run for a bit to get the fluid back there. Is it one pump for both the front and rear or are there two pumps? Anybody know the physical location of the pump? I'm also going to check the rear nozzle to see if it has crud in it. If I can't get it figured out, I'll have them take a look at it when I take it to get the LBJ recall done.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frozen? maybe...

dnm45227

Reaction score
rebelram said:
OK, at least I'm using the right method. I was wondering why the pictures on the control stick show "wash" both at the bottom and top. I'll try full on and see what happens there too.

My first guess is that since it was new, no one has ever used the rear window washer. I bought my 06 used with 14K miles on it. I haven't heard the pump, but haven't really listened for it. I do hear the pump on the front windshield though. I suspected a loose hose as well.

I'll check the connections and listen for the pump. Maybe the pump just needs to run for a bit to get the fluid back there. Is it one pump for both the front and rear or are there two pumps? Anybody know the physical location of the pump? I'm also going to check the rear nozzle to see if it has crud in it. If I can't get it figured out, I'll have them take a look at it when I take it to get the LBJ recall done.

pretty sure it comes from the same resivour, so probably the same pump. and yes it can take a minute or two to pump all the way back if it was bone dry. at least it has on mine.

rebelram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to look at this last night and found the problem. The line from the reservoir tank to the rear wiper was disconnected. I don't know if it was just never connected at the factory or if it slipped off somehow. The two lines that come from the reservoir run between the air box and the fender. I could see where one ran up to the cowling for the front wipers. The other ran to the firewall. Only on mine there was a piece of hose sticking out of the firewall with nothing connected to it. I looked down and found the other end of the line and it had a plastic connector on it. It was a pretty tight fit which makes me think it was just never connected at the factory. Also there is what appears to be some sound dampening material on the firewall. Apparently when I hit the rear washer, I was soaking that material. Needless to say, that side of my engine bay is very clean :) I tested the washer this morning and it works as it is supposed to now.

DavidG

Reaction score
where do the washer tubes connect?

I finally got a chance to look at this last night and found the problem. The line from the reservoir tank to the rear wiper was disconnected. I don't know if it was just never connected at the factory or if it slipped off somehow. The two lines that come from the reservoir run between the air box and the fender. I could see where one ran up to the cowling for the front wipers. The other ran to the firewall. Only on mine there was a piece of hose sticking out of the firewall with nothing connected to it. I looked down and found the other end of the line and it had a plastic connector on it. It was a pretty tight fit which makes me think it was just never connected at the factory. Also there is what appears to be some sound dampening material on the firewall. Apparently when I hit the rear washer, I was soaking that material. Needless to say, that side of my engine bay is very clean :) I tested the washer this morning and it works as it is supposed to now.

Since a hungry mouse ate the washer fluid tubes in the engine bay of my 05 KJ, I need to find out where the tubes connect to the firewall.

I see a 2" rubber grommet on the upper passenger side firewall that one of the tubes (the front?) went to but where does the other tube connect?

Thanks

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top one is front.
Just below it is the rear,it goes through the firewall to the A pillar,up to and under the headliner to the rear.
D/L the FSM for detailed routing Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Gyro

Attachments

• 100_0627.jpg
    100_0627.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 19

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since a hungry mouse ate the washer fluid tubes in the engine bay of my 05 KJ, I need to find out where the tubes connect to the firewall.

I see a 2" rubber grommet on the upper passenger side firewall that one of the tubes (the front?) went to but where does the other tube connect?

Thanks

They don't do it cause they're hungry. They do it just to hump you.
:gr_grin:
Bob

DavidG

Reaction score
Thanks for the field service manual links and pictures. I have the front washer working now and both hoses connected to the reservoir pump. It looks like the rear washer "headliner hose" through the firewall has the grommet built into the hose, rather than separate with a fitting like the front washer. When I feed the new rear hose from the reservoir to the grommet and spray, the water just sprays into the passenger foot well. This tells me the headliner hose is broken somewhere. I hope there's a way to get to that inside without removing the dashboard. At least, I'll check the right/passenger a-pillar.

Last edited:

Librum

Reaction score
Gyro, registered to send this thank you for the manuals. Thank You.

DavidG

Reaction score
Solved

Thanks again for the manuals. I removed the A-pillar trim to see the existing rear hose and just fed a new hose in through the firewall grommet and connected it with a fitting to the existing hose. It all works again now.