Rear Window Striker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it gets hot here in Phoenix, Az but...... Ok, I was driving down the road and my rear window opened all by it self so I thought. I get out to close it and the piece that attaches to the glass was gone. I look at the tailgate and there it was. So my questions are;
1. Does this happen often or is this one in a million.
2. How do I re attach this back to the glass. Is there a special adhesive?

2002 Jeep Liberty LTD 3.7

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super glue is not flexible enough.

There are some products available to glue rearview mirrors onto the front windscreen otherwise a good epoxy glue should work.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that didn’t last long!! I’m starting to dislike this Jeep.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I did use the Gorrilla Glue that was the rubber and glass. The area was clean off with a razor blade and alcohol. I applied the glue after mixing it up in the little tray. I used a clamp to apply the pressure, it said it would set up in five minutes. I left it with the clamp on it there for about 1hr and some minutes. It was so F-ing hot yesterday in direct sun. So then i took the clamp off and I closed it. It sat for about another hour and got a call from my neighbor that my back window was open. Went out to see that it just gave way and came apart. I’m getting closer to selling this Jeep.

wlfpck

Reaction score
You need to use something that is meant to bond to glass...

Gorilla glue is not going to cut it. Neither is super glue.

My guess would be you need the stuff they use when replacing windshields. Head over to your Autozone/Advance auto/o'riely's/etc. and pick up some sika or whatever they have.

Keep in mind the metal will need to be primed with something like Betaprime just like the pinchweld under the windshield is primered before the new one is "glued" on.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to use something that is meant to bond to glass...

Gorilla glue is not going to cut it. Neither is super glue.

My guess would be you need the stuff they use when replacing windshields. Head over to your Autozone/Advance auto/o'riely's/etc. and pick up some sika or whatever they have.

Keep in mind the metal will need to be primed with something like Betaprime just like the pinchweld under the windshield is primered before the new one is "glued" on.

I was thinking the same thing, that wind shield glue. I have to get the windshield replaced. It got cracked on the freeway this morning. Small crack so far. I will check that out for sure.

crasher

Reaction score
How about going to an auto-glass shop?

The last two times I had rear view mirrors come off (two diff vehicles) the local auto-glass place did it for free, told me to give the tech something, and remember them if I needed something bigger.

Slipped the guy a $10, he seemed happy.

I'm sure they've dealt with the issue before.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, that wind shield glue. I have to get the windshield replaced. It got cracked on the freeway this morning. Small crack so far. I will check that out for sure.

Did you ever get this fixed? I just noticed that mine is starting to separate:

I'm trying to decide if I should attempt a partial repair w/some Loctite epoxy that I have used in the past to bond glass back together or remove it all together and try some specalized glass glue from that Pop Mech article.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 3M rear view mirror adhesive. I used 2 entire kits and left it clamped for a long time, hasn't moved.

Or, as mentioned above, go to a glass shop and see if one of their techs will give you a squirt of their good stuff. Just clamp it and leave it up for a while.

Just make sure if you do it yourself you clean both surfaces really well and keep them clamped.

Signia

Reaction score
I know it gets hot here in Phoenix, Az but...... Ok, I was driving down the road and my rear window opened all by it self so I thought. I get out to close it and the piece that attaches to the glass was gone. I look at the tailgate and there it was. So my questions are;
1. Does this happen often or is this one in a million.
2. How do I re attach this back to the glass. Is there a special adhesive?

2002 Jeep Liberty LTD 3.7

Hi ! Did you find a solution for it?