Rear tailgate not receiving any power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoss

Reaction score
Searched high and low on google for the answer to this issue and haven't found anything to solve it yet.

Just recently bought a 2005 Liberty ~172k miles on it and have been doing a lot of repairs to get it winter ready (winter car). Next issue on my list is the rear tailgate seems to not be getting any power to it and I don't know why. When I open the hatch back I have to reach in and manually reset the tailgate glass locking mechanism or it won't close again. I originally replaced the locking solenoid that runs from the handle to the mechanism and when that didn't work I looked at the big picture and realized nothing is working on the tailgate. The back gate doesn't lock at all when I lock the rest of the car, the lock for the glass won't reset when opened, and the rear wiper will not work.

I checked all the fuses as well and none are blown. Has anyone else encountered this issue and knows what else could be the problem or where I can start looking?

Thanks in advance!

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the triggers for the rear gate functions come out of the top right corner of the fuse box in a grey 26 pin connector along with several other things that you havent mentioned not working, eg. the other door locks so unless the wires at that location were damaged due to an improper removal of an aftermarket alarm system which would pigtail into that area, i'd start by removing the gate trim panel and checking the harness connector in the door, its potentially not seated well enough to complete the grounds to the handle, door actuator, lock and wiper, likely culprit if you arent even getting a glass ajar notification as the glass sensor is on that harness which comes in through the hose/gromet at the gate door jamb

that's also the check which doesn't require any standing on your head heh

Last edited:

Hoss

Reaction score
The owners manual says 22 is:

22 20 Amp Yellow
Power Sunroof Relay/
Antenna Module (Export
Only)

But either way the only blown fuse I found was 8 and it's a spare.

Also, yeah all the other door locks work fine. I will check the harness connector like you said since I don't think there is any ajar notification if the glass hatch is open.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh, whats your manual show rear wiper as, #17 15A? there's no dang telling which manual i was looking in, i shouldnt surf the web when im that deprived of sleep but what else is there to do lol

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you have checked that there is no blown fuse, I would check to see if it is receiving and voltage using a voltage meter on the connector. Then I would check to see if the ground has continuity.

Hoss

Reaction score
After you have checked that there is no blown fuse, I would check to see if it is receiving and voltage using a voltage meter on the connector. Then I would check to see if the ground has continuity.

Just got a multimeter today, can you describe where I would check to see if it's receiving voltage?