Rear swing gate won't lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PuckDrop

Reaction score
I've done some research and have found some folks who have had issues with not being able to get their rear swing gate to open but I seem to be having the other problem wherein I can't get the rear gate to lock.

It's an 03 Liberty with power locks and when I lock the doors with the fob, they all click into the locked position but I can then still walk around the back and open the rear swing gate. The flip window goes up and the swing gate opens but all the doors remain locked.

Any ideas as to where I should start to diagnose or troubleshoot this issue?

Bit of a dome scratcher so any hints or help are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some research and have found some folks who have had issues with not being able to get their rear swing gate to open but I seem to be having the other problem wherein I can't get the rear gate to lock.

It's an 03 Liberty with power locks and when I lock the doors with the fob, they all click into the locked position but I can then still walk around the back and open the rear swing gate. The flip window goes up and the swing gate opens but all the doors remain locked.

Any ideas as to where I should start to diagnose or troubleshoot this issue?

Bit of a dome scratcher so any hints or help are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The 2002 KJ and I believe some of the 2003 KJs have a key-lock at the rear to lock/unlock the tailgate.

Does your Jeep have this key-lock at the rear?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early 03 has the power locks for all. Even the rear. There has to be something wrong with the mechanism. Do you hear it click? It is quite loud.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop off the tail gate interior cover and check all connections. Re-seat them as well. It's the best place to start when trouble shooting a issue like this.

It's easier to access everything by popping off the entire door cover and not just the little access panel.

I had an issue last summer where the rear gate window latch wouldn't work. Re-seating the power connection did the trick.

like Billwill said too, Does your KJ have a key hole on the rear gate? if so try that. You lock might be jammed too.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do have the key-lock for the tailgate make sure it is turned to "lock". That is the whole idea for it...you can lock/unlock the rear gate no matter if the rest of the Jeep is locked.

PuckDrop

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no key-lock at the rear and from what I can tell no loud clicking sound when the fob is pressed. Just a softer click from the door locks popping down.

I'll look into removing the rear panel tomorrow when I have some time and see what's going on back there.

Appreciate the help so far.

j888dth

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no key-lock at the rear and from what I can tell no loud clicking sound when the fob is pressed. Just a softer click from the door locks popping down.

I'll look into removing the rear panel tomorrow when I have some time and see what's going on back there.

Appreciate the help so far.

I have exactly same problem also same year car did you get anywhere?

PuckDrop

Reaction score
I was able to pop open the little back panel on the swing gate which allowed me to pull on a little white tab on the swing gate rod. That made it possible to lock and unlock the swing gate as needed. I decided to leave it in the locked position so that I could at least load and unload stuff through the window and have the vehicle be locked when parked.

To get it fixed properly required a new lock mechanism and as it turned out a new wire harness. Total cost was over $600.00 CDN. I was fortunate in that the previous owner knew of the problem and stepped up to offer to pay for half the repair. He'd had problems with the gate previously but lubing the mechanism had worked for him.

So if you can live with it I would. You can try and find a mechanism and wire harness used but whose to say it won't fail within a short period of time.

Good luck with it.

j888dth

Reaction score
I was able to pop open the little back panel on the swing gate which allowed me to pull on a little white tab on the swing gate rod. That made it possible to lock and unlock the swing gate as needed. I decided to leave it in the locked position so that I could at least load and unload stuff through the window and have the vehicle be locked when parked.

To get it fixed properly required a new lock mechanism and as it turned out a new wire harness. Total cost was over $600.00 CDN. I was fortunate in that the previous owner knew of the problem and stepped up to offer to pay for half the repair. He'd had problems with the gate previously but lubing the mechanism had worked for him.

So if you can live with it I would. You can try and find a mechanism and wire harness used but whose to say it won't fail within a short period of time.

Good luck with it.
Had it in bits tonight and been looking at other jeep locks on ebay. many seem to have the same electrical part so by using near side from front or rear i think i can rebuild mine so ordered one £20 from ebay so fingers crossed. Will update incase it helps anyone else.