rear sway bar - useful or not? Poll

Rear sway bar

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you all think about the rear sway bar? is it useful, or junk?
do you use you jeep on the highway, trail, or both?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 04 rear was removed at about 30,000 miles, at 221,000 and all lifted miles pulling a trailer all over , through many states , plus on and off road, no difference.
The only thing it connects is the lower control arms, nothing else
Most go from diff to body/frame to control roll, ours does nothing
Oh the 03s been off for about 5,000 miles now
At one time I had 10 or 11 laying around from doing lifts and people not wanting them

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its there for a reason! it should matter -unless its not strong enough

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine off about 100,000 miles ago and didn't notice a difference then and don't miss it now.

its there for a reason! it should matter -unless its not strong enough

It's there to keep lawyers off the engineers' backs :Insane:

The rear sway bar isn't attached to anything on the body or 'frame' so there's nothing for it to leverage against. Plus with a solid axle in the rear there's no way a sway bar just attached to the lower control arms is going to push one rear wheel up or down when the other side moves up or down especially since the bar isn't linked to the body. Simple geometry and physics.

The rear bar and the "nuts" are long gone from my Libby :Bye:

Bob

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a hindrance when trying to flex rear. Minor impact on highway, no more scary then lifting.

More importantly it gets in the way when your replacing the tri link (Rear UCA, boomerang)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, executives at Chrysler got together to find a way to cost the company millions of needless dollars. They decided to put a bar on the back of a Liberty that does "nothing". lol... Of course it does something.
I took my sway bar off a while ago, and instantly my back end would sway back and forth badly while going down the road when cutting the steering wheel left and right. What it was mostly, my upper control arm was shot, and removing the sway bar made the side slop way more evident. The bar is there to counteract side sway (parallelogram-ing of the lower control arms). If the bar was mounted with only one bolt at each end, it would pivot with the control arms and then yes would do nothing. But having 2 mounting bolts locks the two arms together, and the sway bar will fight against side movement. Consider this a quick lesson in physics and geometry.
Back to mine, after replacing the upper control arm, the rear tightened back up, so I left the bar off. I spose if I was in the habit of taking turns like I was driving my Vette, then I might want to keep the bar on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frame mounted bar = keep(like the front)

The rear is totally useless.

I haven't ran the rear bar since '02 and could not tell the difference,even at over 9" of lift now and still no rear bar,I use a AntiRock in the front and it never get's disconnected(defeats the AntiRock).

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took it off and nothing changed, only time i notice anything back there is when the rear UCA starts to go bad due to fast wear from the lifted angles.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far. I felt the same way as most of you.
1, it's there, so there must be a decent reason for it...but
2, the way it is hooked the the control arms and not the body made me feel like it was relatively useless. Also was in the way when replacing my tri link.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.