rear spring swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a quick and easy way to swap rear springs? Dumping my rough country crap springs and putting in some ome 948s. Just wondering if there is an easier way I know I saw a post a while ago but cant find it now where someone unbolted the shocks and drove up on a hill with front tires.
Going to be putting them in tomorrow after work and would like this to be quick and easy if possible. Also is there a special orientation that the springs should sit I know there is a top and bottom but what about the direction the ends of springs sit should they mirror each other or both face the same way...

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just jack the Jeep up, unbolt the rear swaybar then use a bottle jack to manipulate the rear axle down, pull old spring out and then put new spring, now do the same on the opposite side, now leave swaybar off or bolt back up, tkae Jeep off jack and go wheel!!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No installation of bumpstops?? :shrug:
But rear springs is a 30 minute job at most including jacking up etc.
Unbolt bottom of shock as well
If you jack up the opposite side it helps at times as well

No real orientation of springs but I always put both the same way which ever way I do them

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well I have done them a couple times was just looking for a short cut I guess the thread I saw a while looked real easy didnt even have to remove the tire...

No sway bar to take off that was one of the first things I removed when I got the jeep.

And yes I have hockey puck bump stops that I installed the day I did the original rough country lift.
So as far as same way u mean both ends lets say facing the drivers side tire or back?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh well I have done them a couple times was just looking for a short cut I guess the thread I saw a while looked real easy didnt even have to remove the tire...

No sway bar to take off that was one of the first things I removed when I got the jeep.

And yes I have hockey puck bump stops that I installed the day I did the original rough country lift.
So as far as same way u mean both ends lets say facing the drivers side tire or back?

I know which picture you're talking about, if only adding springs it may work. Problem is all that we do here we add upper iso's etc and makes it too much to stuff in that way.
On the orientation of the spring, yes I just sit them so the end of the coil is the same on both sides, just for looks really

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So installed the new ome springs and sitting an inch higher and still low on drivers side rear this is driving me crazy! Somethings gotta be fd up and I have no idea what it can be at this point..

But on a side note what kind of rear bumpstops are you guys running ome 948s and half inch homemade upper spacer. I currently have a single hockey puck on each side and not sure if thats enough?

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good thing i bought 4 originally. 2 on each side just seemed like to much kinda looks like it wouldnt have much room for up travel?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
So installed the new ome springs and sitting an inch higher and still low on drivers side rear this is driving me crazy! Somethings gotta be fd up and I have no idea what it can be at this point..

You didn't necessarily screw anything up ... sitting lower on the drivers side is quite common.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I woulda heard that earlier woulda saved me a hole bunch of time and money replacing springs I thought were messed up.

May have to make up some more spacers to try and level it out

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got it level.... almost.

Luckily I made up my spacers out of 1/8" plastic sheets instead of getting the factory iso's I was able to pull out a 1/4" from passenger side and stuff it in on driver's side. Looks much better may have to make up a few more to one the rear springs settle in.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily I made up my spacers out of 1/8" plastic sheets instead of getting the factory iso's...

Can you show a picture of what you did? I'm sure it's better than using cedar shims. ;)
But curious of the application and durability of the type of plastic you used.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of like cutting board material which usually is 1/4" thick but this is 1/8" thick and black and used to make sample boards for tile at my job. It is pretty durable and doesnt have much give...Will try to post pics soon.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://
You must be registered for see images attach
[/IMG]

You can see the spacers above stock iso in the one picture. Made with a dremal angle grinder and a jigsaw so cuts are rough but get the job done. 7" outside diameter and 3 inch hole in center. The cut on side was so if need be I didnt have to pull off spring could just bend and flex to get around bump stop. Started off 1/2 inch both sides and to level out have a 1/4" on passenger and 3/4 on drivers... also the pics are before new ome springs and spacer swaping

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online