Rear shocks with lift and rear Sway bar Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when installing a proper spring lift, I've read on here and LOST that many people are later installing rear shocks with load carrier springs, like the #58649 Monroe Loadleveler (for 99-04 Dakota quadcab).

I've seen some comments that say they wish they had installed this from the get go.

How many of us would agree with that statement, and would such shocks be advisable in place of the typical OME/Bilstein/Rancho/Cheap monotube shocks that we see installed on a weekly basis here?

I do tend to put some heavy loads in the back of my KJ, and have started pulling a 12' cargo trailer more often than I have in the past, so the additional load handling of shocks like this would be beneficial to me when I lift later this summer. So, just trying to gauge the feelings of other owners on this.

Lastly, the rear sway bar.. Have read and been told it does not help much in the way of stability on a KJ, and for more rear axle articulation, just remove it. Yes/No?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell a difference when I removed the rear sway bar. I would remove it. The additional flex is worth it. Just inspect your brake line length. You may need to get the extended lines or make a drop bracket. I wrote a guide on how to make the bracket for $10 or less in the how to section.

If you're going to do a decent amount of towing or carrying heavy loads the extra support would be nice. I have the JBA 4" springs and I carry about 300lbs of tools and spare parts and haven't noticed any sagging or bottoming out.

Another option is airbag helper "springs". A bit more pricey but you have an added bonus of on board air.

If you go with regular emulsion shocks you can do JBA, Fox, King, Bilstein, etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I started running the Monroe coilover shock years ago, everyone said it was a bad idea. But with the rear bumper I had at the time, the extra gas I carried on the swing out plus all of the tools I normally carried I needed something extra.
NOW with that said, if only towing occasionally I would maybe go with the bags
AND the rear sway bar does nothing at all

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the AirLift1000 bags in my rear springs for when I towed and they’re great with keeping the rear level and carrying load
I didn’t do the onboard air, but I got a 12V compressor with gauge so that I can easily fill the bags up when needed
If you can deal with the stiffer ride that I’m sure the Monroe’s give when not towing, then go with those so you don’t have to worry about the bags
As for the sway bar, I removed mine when I lifted but realized that there was no reason to because when am I going to need full flex on the road? Any “off-roading” I ever do would never require the back end to need more flex
But again, this was all my experience so you may have different needs

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the AirLift1000 bags in my rear springs for when I towed and they’re great with keeping the rear level and carrying load
I didn’t do the onboard air, but I got a 12V compressor with gauge so that I can easily fill the bags up when needed
If you can deal with the stiffer ride that I’m sure the Monroe’s give when not towing, then go with those so you don’t have to worry about the bags
As for the sway bar, I removed mine when I lifted but realized that there was no reason to because when am I going to need full flex on the road? Any “off-roading” I ever do would never require the back end to need more flex
But again, this was all my experience so you may have different needs

do you happen to know which bags you used? wasnt sure if different ones would be needed with the oem coils.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you happen to know which bags you used? wasnt sure if different ones would be needed with the oem coils.

AirLift has a kit specifically for stock Liberty’s but I obviously had to use a kit with bigger bags as I’m lifted
There’s many retailers that sell them for about $80 but the catch is they can only withstand about 1k lbs of load safely whereas the shocks would be much more; so there is a trade off with each

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Monroe load-leveling shocks and they are fantastic. They've been on my jeep for 4 years. Towed 4K trailer 5500miles and I these helped a lot. I also used to have to pick up feed bags regularly, and I've fit 25 50lb bags of feed several times, only going a few miles to the farm but the Jeep handled it.

What I'm really interested to hear is how people like the monroes vs JBA total control shocks and how they compare in load handling.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Monroe load-leveling shocks and they are fantastic. They've been on my jeep for 4 years. Towed 4K trailer 5500miles and I these helped a lot. I also used to have to pick up feed bags regularly, and I've fit 25 50lb bags of feed several times, only going a few miles to the farm but the Jeep handled it.

What I'm really interested to hear is how people like the monroes vs JBA total control shocks and how they compare in load handling.

Can't compare, thats comparing apples to oranges , they do somewhat the same job but for different reasons
Both are great for what they are made for, the Monroe coilovers are made to handle extra weight, The total control shocks are made so you can adjust compression and rebound. I've ran the Monroes over 120,000 miles ( two different sets on the 04 with over 4 inches of lift and loved them. The Total Controls are about 45,000 miles on the 03 now and love them as well , of course they are only available for the 2.5 inch lift

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the part number or what to look up for the load levelers at 4.5 inches of lift? That rocklizard bumper is a heavy one.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody have the part number or what to look up for the load levelers at 4.5 inches of lift? That rocklizard bumper is a heavy one.

Have them on shockwarehouse, as has been posted many times about them, look at ones for 99-04 DODGE DAKOTA 4X4 Club CAB

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them on shockwarehouse, as has been posted many times about them, look at ones for 99-04 DODGE DAKOTA 4X4 Club CAB

Thanks I thought the club cab shocks were for a shorter lift which is why I asked. Learn something new everyday.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I thought the club cab shocks were for a shorter lift which is why I asked. Learn something new everyday.

Nope, all of my posts for lifted KJs clearly state for the Club Cab 4x4
For the other Dakotas are regular length which we don't use

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the Monroe part number we would use is 58649. I'd double check my research before ordering though.. the description seems to indicate that these would fit the crew/quad cab with the longer shocks.

58649 Monroe Loadleveler Pair Dodge Dakota and Durango - Shockwarehouse.com

The Product dimensions list compressed length at 15.240", and extended to 25.200", which seems about right.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eventually will need another set of shocks, and the Monroes do ride a little rough. If load capacity wasn't a factor, what shocks have a comfortable ride on-road combined with good offroad handling?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I eventually will need another set of shocks, and the Monroes do ride a little rough. If load capacity wasn't a factor, what shocks have a comfortable ride on-road combined with good offroad handling?

Bilsteins or OME, nothing else

Don't ride rough unless not enough weight on them like aftermarket rear bumper, heavy skids etc

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein, OME, Fox, King, Sway Away, etc

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilsteins or OME, nothing else

Don't ride rough unless not enough weight on them like aftermarket rear bumper, heavy skids etc

In which case, the Monroe's with the extra load carrying springs would be fine, right?

Ya got me a touch confused, Tom.. since you just said Bilseins or OME only, but then also said that you've been using the Monroe loadlevelers for years- and in another post that you wish you had used them sooner.

Is it a special use case, not applicable in every situation, depending on use and how much weight is going to be put in/on the back?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In which case, the Monroe's with the extra load carrying springs would be fine, right?

Ya got me a touch confused, Tom.. since you just said Bilseins or OME only, but then also said that you've been using the Monroe loadlevelers for years- and in another post that you wish you had used them sooner.

Is it a special use case, not applicable in every situation, depending on use and how much weight is going to be put in/on the back?

The Monroes are beefy and perhaps are a special use case. Like Tom said, if you aren't running with any extra weight, then they are overkill and probably would ride rough. They aren't exactly the softest ride nor the roughest, but certainly firm.

I think he was mentioning that the only good option outside the Monroes would be the OME or Bilstein and also that having the extra weight makes the Monroes ride better than they would with an unloaded, lifted liberty.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Monroes are beefy and perhaps are a special use case. Like Tom said, if you aren't running with any extra weight, then they are overkill and probably would ride rough. They aren't exactly the softest ride nor the roughest, but certainly firm.

I think he was mentioning that the only good option outside the Monroes would be the OME or Bilstein and also that having the extra weight makes the Monroes ride better than they would with an unloaded, lifted liberty.

Makes sense. Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Depends, on most everyones OME or Bilsteins are best
But you have to remember I had a RL rear bumpser with dual swing outs, alsways carried over 5 gallon extra gas, Kilby gas tank skid, several pounds of extra parts/ tools , so the Monroes did last and work better although I hate Monroes generally

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.