rear shocks question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running rough country rear shocks was looking to replace them due to bushings failing again. I did look around maybe 15 pages and didnt really find a definitive answer. Running a 3 inch lift hub to bottom of flare sitting at 22" what are some good shock options any info as far year and model on the durango or Dakota springs or any other options? Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Running rough country rear shocks was looking to replace them due to bushings failing again. I did look around maybe 15 pages and didnt really find a definitive answer. Running a 3 inch lift hub to bottom of flare sitting at 22" what are some good shock options any info as far year and model on the durango or Dakota springs or any other options? Thanks

Ironman and OME are both made for the lifted KJs so fit is perfect
If you want to use 99-04 Dakota shocks they also need a sleeve inside due to them having a bigger bolt. You can not use Dakota springs
Bilsteins are a good shock as well, Besides those 3 not much I would run

What kind of springs are you running now?

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again tom!

I have rough country springs and a home made 1/2 rear spacer in the rear. I know rough country is crap for the kj but the rear springs dont seem so bad but the will be replaced asap but keep finding more stuff wrong just did a cambolt and bushing and was gunna do inner tie rods when I discovered my boots by the rack filled with power steering fluid fml just wont end! And just got done replacing front with ome springs and ironman shocks so would like to mimic the front in the back but not looking good anytime soon.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman and OME are both made for the lifted KJs so fit is perfect
If you want to use 99-04 Dakota shocks they also need a sleeve inside due to them having a bigger bolt. You can not use Dakota springs
Bilsteins are a good shock as well, Besides those 3 not much I would run

What kind of springs are you running now?
I'm running Dakota bilstein's and didn't need a sleeve inside?? I just needed to add some washers. Should I pull them off and check them out? Also where can I get the sleeve? They seem to be doing fine, but seem a little soft. Maybe not having the correct sleeve could be why. I'm running them body up, but have been wanting to try body down, so checking them out wouldn't be a big deal

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No nothing wrong at all actually. Was planning for the future though. Was thinking of getting the adjust a struts up front then those for the rear. Wasn't sure if those would offer a better ride etc then the billsteins I have to make them worth the upgrade or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting these shocks for the rear to replace the Bilsteins I currently have. haven't really heard any comments from anyone about them though or if they will even work.

Bilstein 2" shock w/ remote reservoir 4.0" lift | J.B.A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same shocks I'm running,I moved my lower mounts way up out of harms way.There are 6 valving options for the 7100 series,I'm running 278/75 valving which is the 5th stiffest and there still a tad to soft to dampen the OME 864's I'm running in the rear.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Could not mount the remote reservoir directly on the shock body due to clearance issues though.

EDIT................

They can be found for much cheaper here..........

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/156/sfID3/809/productID/39239

Takes 2-4 weeks since they are built to order.

Last edited:

Srtpete

Reaction score
What part number are those shocks? I'm looking for remote reservoir for my kj when i lift it