Rear Shocks for 4 inches of lift (CRD KJ)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Science and Energy

Reaction score
I know that JBA sells shocks that are supposed to work for 4 inche lifts but I'd like to know what I am buying, check the specs, and shop around. They are just listed as Bilstein 5100 with no other details that I could find.

Here are the specs for the Bilstein 5100 Shocks 24-185660 (from Amazon):

Body Design: 46mm ID smooth body (Non-coilover), Boot Included: Black bellows, Collapsed Length (IN): 14.63, Collapsed Length (MM): 371.5, Extended Length (IN): 23.68, Extended Length (MM): 601.5, Finish: Zinc plated, Internal Design: Monotube, Lower Mount Type: Eye 12.7mm, Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6458-H6, F4-BE5-6458-H7, 24-064583, Reservoir: No, Series: 5100 Series, Upper Mount Type: Eye 16mm, Warranty: Lifetime Warranty

It seems the OME N132L are shorter (from Sierra Expeditions) :

Open length is 573mm
Closed length is 359mm

Product Features
•Tough urethane bushes for extended life
•Unique triple lip check valve seal offers excellent gas & oil retention
•The eccentric sliding intake valve increases valving response time and reduces operating noise
•The balanced, 1.4", Teflon banded rebound piston delivers outstanding valve control resulting in better ride and handling. The equalized pressure system is delivered through multi-stage valving, which eliminates oil starvation at high speed and greatly reduces heat and pressure build up. This subsequently produces a more durable shock absorber with improved life expectancy.
•Super strong 0.71" hard chromed piston rod.
•Low pressure Nitrogen gas for optimum performance.
•Tough twin tube design with super strong 0.06" thick reserve tube protects vital internal components.
•A multi-stage compression valve incorporates a wider range of valve performance resulting in improved vehicle control and ride suppleness.
•Supplementary top & bottom welds give added strength and safety.

It is my understanding that the Bilstein 5100 Shocks 24-185660 will work with the bushings swapped from the old shocks.

Science and Energy

Reaction score
4 inches on a CRD? I assume you already have the cut down front axel for the left side. If not that is a must for the CRD. Lifting a crd over 2.5 inch's takes more effort than a gas model.
But here is the link to what I have on mine.BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 4" Lift Rear Shocks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was going to shoot for 3.25 to 3.75 inches in front. I think I read staying under 23 inches from Hub to Flare (4 inch lift) was the critical point. Not so?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 7100 12" short body res shock has the correct extended/compressed measurements for a 4" lifted KJ.

Not exactly cheap but they are rebuildable(last shock you will ever have to buy) and you get your choice of 6 valving,about $195 each at Off Road Warehouse.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to shoot for 3.25 to 3.75 inches in front. I think I read staying under 23 inches from Hub to Flare (4 inch lift) was the critical point. Not so?
On a CRD. 2.5 is Max without cut down cv's axel on left side. On the crd's the left axel is shorter than on the gas models. This is because the CRD front differential is moved toward the left to alow room for the CRD. This limits the angle the left axel can drop before binding.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Science and Energy

Reaction score
Darn. I measured 21 as it sits now. I will just do a clevis bump. I think the wheels are 32" and I wanted to cut down on tire rub. The previous owner bought them and they are like brand new.

Is that the right rear shock number though? 24-185660

Has anyone down a SFA on a CRD? Just curious

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im also from the erie pa area. have a gaser with 4 inches and things tend to not be happy at that height. crd even more so

Science and Energy

Reaction score
I am probably going to do 2.5 upfront and 3.25-3.75 in back. Do you have issues much in the back? Nice to meet you. I might go to the Jeep jamboree in Butler this year. I think it is father's day weekend. I'd love to find a used adaptable JK bumper. I have a TIG welder and a busted up plastic bumper.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am probably going to do 2.5 upfront and 3.25-3.75 in back. Do you have issues much in the back? Nice to meet you. I might go to the Jeep jamboree in Butler this year. I think it is father's day weekend. I'd love to find a used adaptable JK bumper. I have a TIG welder and a busted up plastic bumper.

Why would you want to do 2.5 in front and 3.25-3.75 in the rear
Just curious

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Darn. I measured 21 as it sits now. I will just do a clevis bump. I think the wheels are 32" and I wanted to cut down on tire rub. The previous owner bought them and they are like brand new.

Is that the right rear shock number though? 24-185660

Has anyone down a SFA on a CRD? Just curious

So you have a lift on now? What kind / brand?
32 inch wheels or 32 inch tall tires ?

Science and Energy

Reaction score
32" diameter based on the size of the tire. I don't like the look of the front being higher than the back. I plan on towing and airbags may also be put in the coil. I guess it would be a small benefit if the rear has proper shocks and articulation if I ever had a rough spot on a trail. This is not being built for off road but more of an overland vehicle that might hit a trail. Pulling logs out of the woods and such, towing a boat, towing a 6x12 trailer, or other work.

The lift in front is all spring (I'm guessing OME?). I don't know what brand but it rides nice. There was a fat spacer (about 2.5) in the rear on top of the spring. That will be replaced with a JBA 4 inch spring. If it is actually 4 inches higher I may make it shorter so that the back isn't too high. With the trailer hitch, bigger spare, and rear tank skid (when I can find one) I expect it to deflect something so 4 inches might become 3.75. I don't know if the springs will "settle" as I have heard some people reference about new springs. I don't quite understand what is happening there.

That shock is overkill for my purposes and budget. Does anyone if the 24-185660 Bilstein fits?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
32" diameter based on the size of the tire. I don't like the look of the front being higher than the back. I plan on towing and airbags may also be put in the coil. I guess it would be a small benefit if the rear has proper shocks and articulation if I ever had a rough spot on a trail. This is not being built for off road but more of an overland vehicle that might hit a trail. Pulling logs out of the woods and such, towing a boat, towing a 6x12 trailer, or other work.

The lift in front is all spring (I'm guessing OME?). I don't know what brand but it rides nice. There was a fat spacer (about 2.5) in the rear on top of the spring. That will be replaced with a JBA 4 inch spring. If it is actually 4 inches higher I may make it shorter so that the back isn't too high. With the trailer hitch, bigger spare, and rear tank skid (when I can find one) I expect it to deflect something so 4 inches might become 3.75. I don't know if the springs will "settle" as I have heard some people reference about new springs. I don't quite understand what is happening there.

That shock is overkill for my purposes and budget. Does anyone if the 24-185660 Bilstein fits?

What size does it say on the tire ?
Also if you have a 2.5 inch lift in front I would go with OME 948 in the rear for 2.5 inches.You don't have enough weight to bring a 4 inch spring down that much at all . Add an airbag if wanting to haul heavy items or just use Monroe overloads in the back .
Just for reference, my 04 had Kilby gas tank skid, RL aftermarket bumper with dual swing outs , 5 gallon of gas in NATO can most of the time , always have at least an extra 60-75 lbs of tools and then other stuff and was till at 4 inches
Going to look funny with an inch and a half difference front to rear

Latest posts

Members online