Rear Seat Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at removing my rear seats semi-permanently and basically building an insert to make the back nice and flat for cargo purposes. Has anybody done this before? I know how to remove the seats, but i'm looking for different ideas for leveling out the back.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at removing my rear seats semi-permanently and basically building an insert to make the back nice and flat for cargo purposes. Has anybody done this before? I know how to remove the seats, but i'm looking for different ideas for leveling out the back.

Yes I did for a while made a flat platform up front with hinged section at very front so when I slid the seats all the way up, could fold it down. Worked great

quiggly

Reaction score
Did you ever go through with this? I'm in the process

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A Pioneer? That sounds like a stereo system, can you better explain? A photo or link would be helpful.

eldredg

Reaction score
The Pioneer was a pickup with a separate cab and and a removable bed behind the fully enclosed front body.
You must be registered for see images attach
Hardly practical for most KJ owners to make this kind of drastic modification.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Jeep have stuck the Pioneer tag on most models they've made over the years, with no consistency as to what it denotes. I'm not sure if the SJ was a sub-model or a trim package, the Commanche was the middle trim level (the years it was available), the XJ Pioneer might've been a limited edition (one's just come up for sale here which looks like it's 1/2 Cherokee, 1/2 Wagoneer) but the KJ Pioneer was just a plain old panel van (as my picture shows), which, it seems, was only available in (some?) export markets. So, no back seat or seat belts, a flat floor & although I believe the rear doors are functional they can only be opened from outside &, from memory, have plain, flat door cards.

eldredg

Reaction score

Doesn’t look like a truck to me?
That machine has a back seat? Would be nice to have photos of the Pioneer that has no back seat? Otherwise, kinda hard to see what was done to it? RThis comment was for the sleezy rider post. When clicked on that photo, went to website with many photos, some showing back seat. Thanks to ccg2301 for the photos of the export model w/o back seat

Last edited:

ccg2301

Reaction score
Jeep Cherokee (liberty) Pioneer - Launched in march 2004 in UK export market, based on the 2.5 CRD Sport model and came with a 5 speed manual gearbox. It was created by replacing the rear seats with a full length galvanised metal floor, finished with a hard wearing minimum slip carpet for load security. 1.954 litres of load space and a payload of 359kg. Rear quarter glass and rear door glass were removed and replaced with body colour aluminium panels with rear doors still fully operational, to make access to loads at the front much easier. The removable floor to ceiling metal/mesh bulkhead/guard was a £200 option. Colours limited to White/black or for an extra £210 metallic sliver. Alloy wheels £320 option.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there you go. Curious it's a UK special, as the major market for these "vans" (for tax purposes) was always Denmark & Ireland.

All those (well 2 or 3) I've seen for sale have been silver - & I've never seen a white KJ (in the UK).

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That machine has a back seat? Would be nice to have photos of the Pioneer that has no back seat? Otherwise, kinda hard to see what was done to it?
No, that's an XJ Pioneer, it's the KJ Pioneer that didn't have a backseat (there was a similar XJ conversion but sure it didn't have a name, other than Cherokee, but think it may have been referred to as "commercial" - same as the blind Disco. was)

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
To get this back on track - put the back seats down, measure/make a template for a sheet of 1/2" plywood. Cut to fit, cover with indoor/outdoor carpet and voila! Flat cargo area. If you're trying to sleep back there, add carpet padding. Did that in my old van and spent a few months on the road traveling in comfort.

Or, pull the back seats, build a gear storage cabinet that gets the empty area up to the rear's level and then do as above.

Latest posts

Members online