Rear right wheel getting hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the way back from a visit to see family today I noticed a smell slightly coming from the jeep that smelled like metal on metal but I couldn't hear anything or pinpoint the smell.

It wasn't quite like burning brakes. Got home and noticed the smell more and checked the rear right wheel ( had this caliper lock up last year around the same time when I went through a large puddle) touch the wheel and its hot to the touch. So I jacked up the back end and took the wheel off to further inspect. I was able to rock the rotor back and forth in the caliper, but it did take an initial jerk to free it up, so maybe it was locked up and its just toast. On the brake rotor itself I noticed red dust residue all over the rotor, brake pads. Even inside the rotor hat. I dont see anything that looks like it has been rubbing to cause the dust residue.

Since I am seeing residue but not seeing anything rubbing I am wondering of the rear wheel bearing could possibly be shot. I am not hearing any loud sounds coming from the rear wheel but while passing some guard rails I could hear something that sounds like metal rubbing metal slightly, but it wasnt very loud. I am not seeing any wetness like leaking fluid on the back side of the drum assembly. I saw no wetness in the emergency pad area either. Emergency pads were replaced a few weeks ago due to them falling apart so those are good.

Any other ways I can check to see if these bearings are shot without yanking out the axle?

Or any other thoughts on possible cause of this heat?

Thanks
Andrew

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres how to check a wheel bearing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKWGjmPKoc

Could be that or either the regular or emergency brakes dragging.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On one of my rear wheels the two metal pieces that lever against each other to apply the shoe when you pull the cable were completely seized together. I had to hold them in pliers and hit them very hard with a hammer to get them apart

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not uncommon for a replacement caliper to go bad. Ive started making sure the calipers have a lifetime warranty. Ive returned SEVERAL for replacement...

Think Ive put something like 8 calipers on my fiances JK....

Latest posts

Members online