Rear hatch glass will not close after battery died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirospin

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited. the battery died and I open the hatch to get the jumper cables out of the rear. the hatch and glass opened normally, but now the glass will not latch. I cannot seem to find any help in the archives.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've replaced the battery and it still won't latch? I did something similar when I was swapping in a new battery. Mine would not latch when I disconnected the battery but worked fine once I put in a new battery.

chirospin

Reaction score
I really cannot explain it. the latch will work with the remote, when you pull on the door handle and when I push the latch shut with my finger and unlocks with the previous two methods, but will not latch with the window pushing it closed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not there but it sounds like something is worn out on the upper latch mechanism.
There is a manual release here as well...
You must be registered for see images attach

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear glass does weird things with a low battery. Did you replace battery? Or just jump the one that had died?

chirospin

Reaction score
I jumped the battery. I tried adjusting the catch and that did not help. I tried pulling the window shut from the inside and still the catch would not "click" shut. I am at a loss.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest getting your battery checked. When my battery was on it's way out my rear glass would randomly open. I can't explain why it's just what my Jeep did. I've read that similar things happen with others when battery goes bad.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Had that happen, turns out I was trying to close after it autolocked (drove with the back open, locks autoclicked). Pulled the handle to actuate the glass lock with it open, then closed the normally. I don't think anyone else would have that issue though...just a lack of thinking in my case may not even be related.

chirospin

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the suggestions, but none of them helped. I checked the battery and it was not fully charged. It is now and it still does not shut. the switch in the handle is working correctly and I have adjusted the latch mechanism as far towards the window and still not latching. I have fully cleaned and lubricated the latch as well. It all appears to move freely. I am not sure what else to try other than purchasing a new latch.

chirospin

Reaction score
I just spoke with the local dealer and they are as stumped as I am with this issue. They did not have an answer for this issue.

chirospin

Reaction score
I have done that already. What is odd is that the remote and the door latch will release the rear window latch. I purchased a used one from a junk yard today and will try that once my son returns with the jeep.

chirospin

Reaction score
I went to a u pull it yard yesterday to purchase a latch. what I noticed on several of the Libertys is that the owners took the latch off of the window and placed several washers to push the window latch towards the locking mechanism on the tail gate. I have not installed the latch yet

chirospin

Reaction score
Ok, here is what I did. I installed the latch from the salvage yard and still the same problem persisted. I took the original latch and drilled the opening out. this gave more adjustability. this worked and the glass sits well and latches better than it did previously.