Rear Glass Only Opens With Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says, the rear glass on my '07 only opens if I use the key fob. It just started doing this last week when the weather warmed up. All winter long I have been able to hit the unlock button and pull the handle to open the glass. When I use the remote, the glass opens with no wierd noises or hesitation. This leads me to believe there is either a bad connection or something broke. I'm just curious if others have had this issue and solved it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya what fun..not... Inspection time!
There is an electrical connector at the handle, /micro switch, I think it sends power to the upper latch for opening window...
There are a few threads mentioning the handle switch, but what do I know, Mine still works touch wood.
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/tailgate-rear-window-wont-open-unlock-61350/
I found this video too, shows the corroded connector..Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDRIOf3-2sI
Possibly Bill or others will chime in and have a better "handle" on this!! :icon_smile:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Yep. $12.00 microswitch held onto the handle by a rusty clip. Microswitches get water and go bad.

The little hatch on the panel covering the inside of the door gives access to the microswitch connector. You can sit inside and short the connections to each other and see if the window opens. The handle can be disconnected from the door through that little hatch, 10mm. There's a wiretie inside the door that needs to be clipped.

For the bigger better view take the panel off; Pry out along the bottom and up the sides, then push up gently or it'll crack along the top.