Rear Glass Latch won't Reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miggitymike

Reaction score
I've been wrestling with a problem for the last couple of weeks with the Tailgate glass's latch mechanism. It will release the glass, I can open the tailgate just fine; however, most (almost all) of the time when I go to close the glass, I find the latch is in the up (closed) position.

If I pull back on the interior panel, I can get my finger to the release which immediately pops the latch into the position to receive the glass.

I've hit ever moving part with spray lube and worked the parts back and forth but it's still releasing the glass, only to have the latch remain in the closed position after releasing the glass.

Any ideas out there, short of replacing the latch?
Thanks!

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What could have actually happened is the the switch in the handle of the tailgate os not working anymore. The same thing happened in my kj. When you open the tailgate the window still opens but the latch never activates. Try pulling the handle about halfway to see if the switch activates or not. If it's bad you could hear a faint click. I never changed the switch so I just use the Kew fob to op end the glass before I open the tailgate

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Tiny switch cost about $13.00.

Rusty clip that holds it on only comes with new handle assembly $250.00; free switch included.

If you're amazing you can do it all through the little plastic access panel inside the tailgate... Disconnect connector, clip ziptie holding wire, undo 10mm nut (or 2) holding handle, replace switch.

Or if you're like me remove the whole plastic tailgate panel by popping it loose along the bottom and sides without cracking it at the top this time; then lift up gently and it should come off making it easy to see everything.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB issued years ago for that small switch in the tailgate getting damaged by water access...can't remember what the fix was, probably some better waterproofing of the switch!

Pretty sure that will be your problem so replace it as per the instructions offered!

Latest posts

Members online