Rear facing spot lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for mounting ideas, thought for sure someone here has done them and posted about it but search came up zero....

Thinking maybe on the window hinges?

Jim

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted 2 LED fog lights wired on a switch and also tied in with the reverse lights. I mounted them on bottom of the receiver.

They're similar to these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEEB2U...&pd_rd_r=0986cfeb-f5d1-11e8-800e-99381bd78eaf

If wanting to mount them up high, I'd go with a DIY crossbar on the roof rails to mount them.

Rear window hinges are usually cast alloy and won't handle much weight. Plus they'd be weaker after drilling them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I got lights, looking more for mount options in the rear...

Jim

Make bracket to mount to the side bars on each side , easy to do , wiring is easy as well then and mount small ones there. Have done a few of them that way on both stock side bars and Rock Lizard racks

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
They're more usefull mounted high, you can see more of the ditch you're backing into.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cheap lights , may work somewhat for reverse lights but not much else

I just went into the store to look for a scoop/banjo shovel to help clear ice out of our paddock tubs. They felt pretty solid and secure.

I mean honestly, aren't 95% of these things made in China anyway? Why wouldn't a company that was making the LED's for the big boys start making more than required and selling them to another firm? Isn't that the hope of every company, that you can make more than you need and sell off the excess? I seriously doubt ShopRite personally grows fields of shoepeg corn, and instead buys excess off Green Giant.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just went into the store to look for a scoop/banjo shovel to help clear ice out of our paddock tubs. They felt pretty solid and secure.

I mean honestly, aren't 95% of these things made in China anyway? Why wouldn't a company that was making the LED's for the big boys start making more than required and selling them to another firm? Isn't that the hope of every company, that you can make more than you need and sell off the excess? I seriously doubt ShopRite personally grows fields of shoepeg corn, and instead buys excess off Green Giant.

LOL try them out side by side SO much difference
Trust me I have several sets of cheap ones I was sent to test, don't even run them forward facing since they are simply junk. Have two of them in the rear bumper, rest are boxed up.
One factory MAY produce the same veggies, but what goes in the can is different depending on what that one company wants. Like Walmart, they sell Goodyear tires for example, BUT are not as good as the Goodyears from a Goodyear store.
Back to lights we have done side by side tests it is simply amazing how much difference there is
Good lights will have a good light pattern, more light output etc
Cheap ones will not have a good pattern, scattered light, does not go out as far etc
I did not believe it myself that there would be that much difference

Last edited:

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL try them out side by side SO much difference
Trust me I have several sets of cheap ones I was sent to test, don't even run them forward facing since they are simply junk. Have two of them in the rear bumper, rest are boxed up.
One factory MAY produce the same veggies, but what goes in the can is different depending on what that one company wants. Like Walmart, they sell Goodyear tires for example, BUT are not as good as the Goodyears from a Goodyear store.
Back to lights we have done side by side tests it is simply amazing how much difference there is
Good lights will have a good light pattern, more light output etc
Cheap ones will not have a good pattern, scattered light, does not go out as far etc
I did not believe it myself that there would be that much difference

Thank you for giving a well thought out response other than "Horrible Freight Suxs". I have two, each less than 15 miles from my house, so I sometimes go to them for things, and 7 times out of 10, they do as they promise, and it's good enough for the light duty I ask, like their arc welder.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for giving a well thought out response other than "Horrible Freight Suxs". I have two, each less than 15 miles from my house, so I sometimes go to them for things, and 7 times out of 10, they do as they promise, and it's good enough for the light duty I ask, like their arc welder.

One of the guys at work just installed a pair of the HF on his and thought they were great
I pulled up beside of him and turned my Rigids on ,.............:winner_third_h4h:
I do use a lot of HF tools and never had an issue, but sometimes cheap is cheap
But for rear facing, like I said they will work

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the guys at work just installed a pair of the HF on his and thought they were great
I pulled up beside of him and turned my Rigids on ,.............:winner_third_h4h:
I do use a lot of HF tools and never had an issue, but sometimes cheap is cheap
But for rear facing, like I said they will work

So since you've seen the new HF lights, in your honest opinion, if someone wanted to get the 3,000 lumen 14" lightbar for the front bumper of their Liberty, would you say it would do the job(lighting the rural roads around where I live), for the price($80 w/wiring harness, w/20% coupons)?

I looked at Rigids, and they look great, but I'm a cheap :favorites68: and I'd rather take the extra $300 I would spend on them and add it to my "emergency repair fund".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So since you've seen the new HF lights, in your honest opinion, if someone wanted to get the 3,000 lumen 14" lightbar for the front bumper of their Liberty, would you say it would do the job(lighting the rural roads around where I live), for the price($80 w/wiring harness, w/20% coupons)?

I looked at Rigids, and they look great, but I'm a cheap :favorites68: and I'd rather take the extra $300 I would spend on them and add it to my "emergency repair fund".

They throw light for a little ways and scattered all over the place
it at first seems to be good but a more expensive light just has a better beam pattern, throws the light farther out and just more usable
I drive about 40 miles a day where I sometimes see 6-8 cars/ trucks. This is one lane dirt/ 2 lane narrow county roads and two lane state highways . I want a light that throws a good beam pattern way down the roads.
I run Vision X and Rigid ( cube with spots ) on the front and both do that. The HFs , just a scattered light and no very far out really when actual comparing , just my 2 cents

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these and mounted them to my roof rack:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1-LED-MOUNT-BRACKET-LIGHT-CLAMPS-ROOF-ROLL-CAGE-BAR-19-25mm-Bull-Bar-TUBE/221962101565?epid=1261122750&hash=item33adf8e33d:g:BeYAAOSwA65b7SYo:rk:5:pf:0

As for cheapo lights, that's what I used for the rear-facing ones. They looked great for a year, then one filled up with rain water. They were something like $12 a pair, which I view as a fee for finding out that I do like having them and won't feel bad springing for a better set at some point. Had I spent $$$$ on lights and then hated them I would have been more ticked off.

Latest posts

Members online