Rear end taking a dump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran to the gas station a little bit ago, and as I was pulling out to come home, the rear end of my Jeep started hopping. Kind of like if the wheels were spinning on a mixed hard/slippery surface. But I didn't see any ice on the road at all. When it happened the first time I immediately took my foot off the gas and disengaged the clutch. As soon as I started to take off again, it happened a second time. After that it drove normally the rest of the way home. I've never had a rear end go out on me before so I really don't know what symptoms to look out for. I'd appreciate if anyone could share their experience.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting......one of our ambulances at work does it, work says that we turn too sharp, I call bs. Let me know if you find out anything

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What diff do you have in it? Is it open or trashlocked?
How long since fluid change ?
Could be a number of things I'd drop the cover and check it out

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler 8.25... 3.73 gears.. open. Last fluid change about 10 months ago with dino oil.. everything looked ok then no metal chunks or anything. Drove to work tonight and it felt fine. I'm stumped but I'll probably pull the cover of when I get a nice day and try to figure out what's going on.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happens to mine every now and again normally only when I turn but I have an open diff hmmm

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time itdoes it watch your rpms your clutch might be slipping

sent by telegraph from my k30

Thanks for the suggestion but I know it's not the clutch slipping. It hasn't happened again since that first time, but something else has happened for the last two days. I stop at the gas station every night before work, and the gas station has a big dip in the entrance. As I'm turning right into the parking lot the Jeep gets off camber, and I hear a loud bang coming from the rear. Not sure if it's related or not though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd open her up and take a good look inside before driving it any more. Your spider gears might be getting ready to let loose. Right now, you might be able to salvage the diff. If something lets loose though, it's likely to take the ring & pinion gears with it. You could also have a broken ring gear tooth, which then means a total rebuild or replacement.

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chunks

I'd open her up and take a good look inside before driving it any more. Your spider gears might be getting ready to let loose. Right now, you might be able to salvage the diff. If something lets loose though, it's likely to take the ring & pinion gears with it. You could also have a broken ring gear tooth, which then means a total rebuild or replacement.
Maybe be something floating around in the rear axle, or could it be the ball joint in the tri-link setup? You said it was a noticeable low spot that you had to pull through. Although it really does sound like the clutches in a trash-lok gone bad.

Members online

No members online now.