Rear end all kattywampus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll make it short. Most of you know my setup. 2002 Jeep liberty 4x4

Give her gas, steering wheel goes lift. Left off, goes straight. Highway cruising straight wheel. Replaced upper control arm one bushing is split already. One lower control arm is rusted through around the bushing but is tight which I will replace. Passenger side motor mount is split and the engine has shifted a bit. Would that be the cause of my wheel not being straight when giving it gas? Also giving it gas makes the whole Jeep sway. I'm out of ideas.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best guess is there is a bias in how the power gets to the wheels and more power is going to the rear right wheel than the rear left wheel which is making the jeep go left when you accelerate. For some reason my right rear wheel seems to lose tread faster than my other tires, why that is i dont know, im not knowledgable enough.

Are the rear springs uneven? I wonder if that would cause it.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My best guess is there is a bias in how the power gets to the wheels and more power is going to the rear right wheel than the rear left wheel which is making the jeep go left when you accelerate. For some reason my right rear wheel seems to lose tread faster than my other tires, why that is i dont know, im not knowledgable enough.

Don't know if you are serious or what
But I'll take it as you don't know
Power goes to the right rear wheel first so that is why it will wear more and and also why you rotate your tires

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll make it short. Most of you know my setup. 2002 Jeep liberty 4x4

Give her gas, steering wheel goes lift. Left off, goes straight. Highway cruising straight wheel. Replaced upper control arm one bushing is split already. One lower control arm is rusted through around the bushing but is tight which I will replace. Passenger side motor mount is split and the engine has shifted a bit. Would that be the cause of my wheel not being straight when giving it gas? Also giving it gas makes the whole Jeep sway. I'm out of ideas.

Seriously?
Get both rear LCAs replaced ASAP
Also both motor mounts
Then start looking at other suspension parts, rear shocks, springs etc

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously?
Get both rear LCAs replaced ASAP
Also both motor mounts
Then start looking at other suspension parts, rear shocks, springs etc
Local junker has an 07. Gonna go snatch em off that and report back

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Local junker has an 07. Gonna go snatch em off that and report back

You don't buy parts for suspension from a Junker
They could be as bad as what you have now

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't buy parts for suspension from a Junker
They could be as bad as what you have now
That 07 was in good shape. No rust on the control arms. Better than what I have

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Bushings are still over 9 years old or even older
May look fine to the naked eye
But its your $$$

Customer brought a used Tri- Link for me to install about 4 years ago from an 07 low mileage, 2 months later back with same issue, installed a new Mopar one I had there and told him to drive it a couple of days. All issues taken care of, and ended up buying my only spare :emotions34:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd suggest using the arms to replace your rusted ones but press in new bushings. Otherwise you'll be doing this project again real soon.

Oh, and NAPA sells good motor mounts - about $80 for the pair.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I promise it's your lower control arms causing the swaying. I got new Moog LCA's which solved the issue for me. The bushings on the LCA's LOOKED fine to me...so I was skeptical it was to solve the issue...but sure enough it did!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I promise it's your lower control arms causing the swaying. I got new Moog LCA's which solved the issue for me. The bushings on the LCA's LOOKED fine to me...so I was skeptical it was to solve the issue...but sure enough it did!
Got it aligned today. Ordered the control arms from the dealer. Got my pops employee discount. 60 a piece. Will update.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it aligned today. Ordered the control arms from the dealer. Got my pops employee discount. 60 a piece. Will update.

When you do the replacement...make sure you flip around a few of the bolts to orient them in a way that they are easy to replace next time. You'll see what I mean.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do the replacement...make sure you flip around a few of the bolts to orient them in a way that they are easy to replace next time. You'll see what I mean.
That next time better not be until another 100,000 miles or so haha

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM bushings on mine we shot by 40K miles, but they endured some hard off road stuff too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That next time better not be until another 100,000 miles or so haha

Unless you are a very slow, very careful driver no way will they last 100,000 miles. OR most generally they don't
What does happen is people get used to the slowly degrading suspension and don't realize how bad it is until the rear is loose as a goose on thin ice !
Much like suspensions ( springs and shocks) most don't know how bad their ride really is until you upgrade it.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Got both changed. Swaying GONE. Nice and solid. 60 a piece from the dealer. One bolt suffered (had to cut a slot in it not even my toughest impacts and heat wouldn't make it budge) so bought one new nut and all four bolts for the sway bar from the dealer. On top of that.,i went ahead and painted the whole underbelly of the Jeep with rust former and high heat gloss paint. Looks good