Rear Drive Shaft Service Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
When Burro II was up on blocks this week I took a close look at the rear drive shaft. Rusty as heck. Looks all original. 122K. The spicer joint does not seem serviceable.

No apparent problems at this point. But I am curious as to typical service life of these.

And is there a replacement that makes better sense? I'm sure you have dealt a million of these, tommudd. Where does your expertise point?

I installed custom made ones on other Jeeps, so I know a thing or two about the issues. What are typical experiences with Liberty drive shafts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No issues, just swap out u-joints and be done
I have changed u-joints on KJs with 50,000 miles ( my 04 ) that was bone dry and rusted , and changed out some with over 165,000 miles, never been changed and still had a small amount of grease in them.
My 04s at 50,000 miles were tight to the touch, no looseness at all, but after driving 10-12 miles were hotter than a firecracker
Driveshaft wise I just sand down a bit and light coat of paint on, no issues at all