Rear Door Shovel Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yodejt02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a mod I did on a 5 dollar budget cause I needed a place to mount my shovel, and it works great. As requested by Geeky I will share with everyone:D

To start I did by the mounts at Walmart. Not my favorite store in the world, but I live in a small town and they were the only place that carried this specific type of garage clip/mount. They are found back in the area of the store where hardware is kept. I believe they were hanging with things such as bike hooks, nuts/bolts, nails, and so on.

Ok, also you will need to purchase some hardware to mount the shovel clips and some steel or fenderwashers to make backers for the mounts. (dont want to crack the plastic)

Here is the overall view when completed.
You must be registered for see images attach

I mounted one clip to hold the handle portion. I used flat steel behind the clip inside the plastic interior piece for strength but did not use anything behind the clip because i felt that there was no need.

Here it is without the shovel in it

For both clips I pushed the bolts through from the back. It would be tricky trying going the other direction since the door has many areas where the sheet metal gets in the way. I already had some bolts so I used those. I could get some shorter ones to dress it up a bit, that would have added another 60- 90 cents to the project. I am cheap sometimes.:D

I then rotated the clip 90 degrees to mount down by the end of the shovel. I used flat steel on the back side of the plastic interior cover and fender washers behind the mount to increase stability and strength.

here is the mount with out the shovel in it

This pic is from the back passenger side seat to show the clearance of the shovel as to the sides of the interior

This set-up has been trail tested and past with flying colors. I thought that the clips would not hold the shovel too well but was way impressed. These clips are spring loaded so I am sure they would hold alot of other things too.

I would be glad to take more pics if someone needs them, or pass on any information that I may have forgot to add.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Yoder!!

I went to wallywordl and picked up a shovel some washers, bolts, and some of those clips.. unfortunately the clips i got were smaller and i have to take them back because they wont work..

This was a brilliant mod! Good job!

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to add mine to the roof rails of the jeep, saw an FJ who had this done, looked cool.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh it is fullsize, I held it up to the rail, fits perfect, gonna stop at a hardware store this week and see what I can manage

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
well shovel and fubar fall under my "if shit" category.. ill have awinch too ( have the winch just no way to mount it)

yodejt02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used my shovel plenty.....
sand castle at the dunes in Michigan shovel
official "is this water deep checker"
It's stuck in the tree...leme see if I can get that... shovel
snow on the window shovel
sand on the fire shovel

I am sure there is more, but it does have its uses!

;)

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on making studs on my rails, then drilling holes in the handle and blade and using rubber washers between shovel and rail then securing it with wing nuts.

Latest posts

Members online