rear dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Got this on ebay, for my back seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It's from a dodge ram and it appears it will go in very easily.

Bennett
[/list]

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk if u know, but in the 2005 libbys they have dome lights in the rear now, ive not seen one yet but it may be like the front lights and have push lights. i really want one of those, tell us how u put it in and wire it up like u always do.

Be careful about hooking it up to the bcm. ex. going through the other lights so it comes on when the doors open etc. ive heard that it will put to much of a load on it and then it wont work right. but ur smart, urll know what to do.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, that would fix the complaints of my brother and his family who were recent passengers \:D/ Let us know how it goes.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 limited does in fact have two rear lights that are the same push on type as in the front of the vehicle only a bit larger i think. One for the cargo area and one for the rear seat area.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
bigfella said:
My 2005 limited does in fact have two rear lights that are the same push on type as in the front of the vehicle only a bit larger i think. One for the cargo area and one for the rear seat area.

Interesting. Do you have any pics of that?

Bennett

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remember a while back I made two small lights above both rear doors. It made all the difference in the world it terms of lighting. I tied it into the door switches so they come on when the doors open. I do not recomend this setup. It will harm the BCM over time due to the extra load. I recomend hooking it upto its own 12v supply and maybe a switch in the front and a switch in the rear to turn it on when you need it.

Good luck

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check at the bottom of my Jeep page. I just posted pics of the positioning of the rear dome lights on my 05 limited. I have the sunroof option so they look recessed when it fact it's just the sunroof buldge! :)

I also added some pics of the MOPAR spare mount bike rack option I added. I cut a small square hole in the tire cover so I could still use it. We may not get alot of rain here in SoCal but we do get Sun which will do bad things to rubber parts :)

http://www.electra225.com/liberty.html

2003KJ

Reaction score
Actually it looks like it could be tied in with the cargo light.

Ahh, I remember those days when my engine was that clean. Did you do some modifications to the air syatem on your KJ? You don't have the ********* box that says 3.7 V-6 POWERTECH (or whatever it says).

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I figure it would be mucho easy to tie a new light in with the cargo light is you had only one light back there. My bet is that the ECM or whatever it's called would not have issues with the load either, I doubt it draws that much and I doubt they beefed it up for 05 just for one light...

If your talking about my 05 Limited, no mods, it's all stock under the hood :) That is why I took all the pictures...so next year when it's dirty I can remember what is looked like new and clean! :) I crawled under it the first day just to look at it and admire all the factory markings...my XJ is sooo rusty I'm afraid to crawl under it!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Actually it looks like it could be tied in with the cargo light.

Ahh, I remember those days when my engine was that clean. Did you do some modifications to the air syatem on your KJ? You don't have the ********* box that says 3.7 V-6 POWERTECH (or whatever it says).

I don't think any of the '04s or '05s have them. Mine definitely doesn't...

You must be registered for see images

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Did you do some modifications to the air syatem on your KJ? You don't have the ********* box that says 3.7 V-6 POWERTECH (or whatever it says).

What you are referring to is the silencer box, it's designed to quiet the intake noise. I believe they stopped putting these on after 2003 as from the pics I've seen, but it could have been at the start of the 03 year-not sure really.

bigfella, thanks for the pictures! Just curious, is your very rear light also act as on/off switch for your dome lights? It appears Jeep changed the style of the rear light a little bit.

Bennett

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
would really like to see how this mod turns out. been thinking of doing something similar, but separately powered due to BCM conerns....

that puddle light thing was cool too...

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bennett,

The rear pass dome works with all the other lights as far as door opening, fading on/off. It is also a push on light so the rear passengers can turn it on whenever they like.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
This is my backseat, taken in a dark garage!! =D> =D>

My #1 Pet Peave has been fixed!

01lighton.jpg

03closeup.jpg

02fromrear.jpg

Part Number for the light is, 04685242 well at least that's the number that was stamped on the fixture it self. It's from a 1999 dodge ram.

Anywho, I did connect it to my other dome lights and so far so good! I know the many risks when connecting to the BCM, but I figure it should be fine.

I spent about a good hour just measuring, and it's in there perfectly straight and centered.

My total project cost was $10, not bad.

Bennett

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Did you just drop one side of the headliner? That can be a lot of work. I wired 2 dome lights in a roof mount lcd screen to the rear dome and after a couple days the BCM shut off all interior lights. I had to rewire directly to an alternate power source and reset the BCM by disconnecting the battery. Hope it continues to work.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
farwellbooth said:
Looks great! Did you just drop one side of the headliner? That can be a lot of work. I wired 2 dome lights in a roof mount lcd screen to the rear dome and after a couple days the BCM shut off all interior lights. I had to rewire directly to an alternate power source and reset the BCM by disconnecting the battery. Hope it continues to work.

I did not want to take the headliner down, so I used a coat hanger to fish the wire through. Originally I wanted to go directly to the EVIC lights, but fishing the wire through, proved far too difficult. So I ended up going down the side, and tapping into the passenger foot well light. I am hoping that I won't have to rewire it, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. I know somebody, (I thought it was TRAILN), added two lights, but forgot how they wired them up.

At least in your case the BCM didn't die, but if that happens I will have to go the relay or manual switch route.

I looked up the bulb and it draws only 0.27 Amp so it is relatively low amperage.

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
05roughhole.jpg

That's a pic of the roughed in hole I initally made. The final hole was nice and smooth, but this just gives you an idea what's above the headliner.

It's scary lookin isn't it. :sick:

Bennett

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice clean install. I like the way it looks.
Cross you fingers on the BCM. Mine didn't blow right away, took a while.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
TRAILN said:
Nice clean install. I like the way it looks.
Cross you fingers on the BCM. Mine didn't blow right away, took a while.

Did your BCM totally die or what happened? You had two lights on it, if I remember correctly.

And do you know for sure it was from the lights that caused the issue?

and how long did it take yours?

hmm I wonder if I should go change it to switch, before something breaks. You'd think if it was going to break, it would just die instantly.

Thanks,
Bennett

Latest posts

Members online