Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear Differential went in my 2004 renegade...The stock part is discontinued....Any Ideas on what is the BEST aftermarket limited slip rear differential for a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade? If anyone has a link to the site, please post!

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a LSD get the Detriot TrueTrac,the best out there and no friction modifier needed.
How loud is that beast? Not that I care cause I lost most of my hearing to an IED blast....but I'm curious....

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No noise at all like stated it's a LSD and not a auto loacker.
What is the fundamental difference between an auto locker and LSD? Can you run an auto locker on a daily driver without causing problems with your vehicle? Sorry about all of the questions, but you have some good info/experience, and my mind is a sponge....

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the fundamental difference between an auto locker and LSD? Can you run an auto locker on a daily driver without causing problems with your vehicle? Sorry about all of the questions, but you have some good info/experience, and my mind is a sponge....

both allow power to be delivered to both wheels on the same axle. The locker eliminates any slip when it engages. The DTT will allow some slip when it transfers torque to the other the tire.

The DTT is more streetable and user friendly but will not do as well as a locker but is much easier to live with and 1000X more useful then an open diff. The engagement on the DTT is considerably less aggressive as will be noted on higher traction surfaces like pavement by the lack of tire chirp when making the simplest corner.

The details on how they work i leave to you to google.

Which one is better depends on what you do with your jeep and what you are prepared to live with as a daily driver.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a powertrax no-slip for awhile and its awful. It works great offroad but the onroad manners are terrible. Constantly locking and unlocking at the wrong times. One thing i found very annoying is when its unlocked its sending 100% of the torque to one wheel which causes it to spin all the time when pulling out. Even an open diff splits the torque up.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a LSD get the Detriot TrueTrac,the best out there and no friction modifier needed.

I am searching for one on line right now...Is this the part made by Eaton? Will this slide in and replace the stock Dif, or are their other modifications that I need to make in order to install this?

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will also need a master install kit, and someone to set up the gears. Old gears also need to be re set up correctly. Or they won't last long.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a powertrax no-slip for awhile and its awful. It works great offroad but the onroad manners are terrible. Constantly locking and unlocking at the wrong times. One thing i found very annoying is when its unlocked its sending 100% of the torque to one wheel which causes it to spin all the time when pulling out. Even an open diff splits the torque up.

The largest problem people have with lunch box lockers is difference in rear tire height. They need to be almost perfect to not have any problems. I ran one in my 95 grand Cherokee dana 35 for 3 years with no problems or weird noises. Only reason I sold it was because I went to a ford 8.8 with a Detroit locker.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will also need a master install kit, and someone to set up the gears. Old gears also need to be re set up correctly. Or they won't last long.

I have a mechanic doing it for a flat rate, I was just determining whether I would run into any unforseen expenses like Regearing etc.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah about as seamless as the San Andreas fault.Heck I'd lincoln lock it before even thinking of a lunchbox locker.

Dunno, still sounds like you guys are talking about an Aussie. ThunderbirdJunkie has driven and ridden in tons of Powertrax-equipped Jeeps and never experienced what you guys are talking about.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Powertrax No-Slip in my Ranger with the Ford 8.8. For the most part it was seamless, but every now and then you could notice it. Mostly, you had to learn to adjust your driving style. For instance, if you took a wide turn starting from a stop light, you couldn't punch the gas at the start of the turn, or you would notice it bind, release, then re-lock as you went through the turn. Basically, you forced it to lock by applying torque at the start of the turn, and if you didn't release that torque, it wanted to stay locked through the turn, which it doesn't like due to the difference in turning radius between the inside and outside wheel.

Just some learning needed to drive with one. After I learned the quirks of driving with it, I loved it. I had it for several years before I sold the truck, with no problems at all.

I plan to put a "lunchbox" locker in my Jeep. I'm no ******** rockcrawler, so I know it will work for my application. Again, back to my point about opinions on here, just because a specific application only works for one person on here, doesn't mean that's the ONLY application that will work for everyone else.

Latest posts

Members online